Night riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
For mtb you must have a head light and a bar light too for a safer ride.

curious - why is this? Why are they flushed out?

And the owls know this but the rodents don't know that the owls know?

Clever things owls.
I’m not sure why the rodents don’t like the lights, but they don’t. The owls can spot a bike riders lights from miles away, they’ve learned that cyclists with lights = dinner time. That’s the thing with having loads of experience in riding at night, on dark country lanes, you get to see things like this.

cabbieman

I can't be bothered to read all the replies so apologies if this has been mentioned before but always make sure your lights are always charged or you have spare batteries as it's no fun if your lights die.

Reactions: Sjw
Night riding can be strangely exhilarating, and I plan to do another night ride soon. I was recently reminded of a curious aspect of night riding - that because you cannot see beyond the light spot on the road in front of you, it can sometimes be difficult to detect gradients, or even to know whether you are going up or down hill at times.
I love climbing in the dark. You can't see how far you still have to climb :laugh:

si_c

Guru
Light batteries run out of charge more quickly in the cold as well, so it’s always a good idea to have spare lights handy, if it’s cold.
Yep. I keep buying spare lights to fit "just in case". Currently have a main light, a backup main light, a blinky light which can serve as a main light and a backup blinky which I can use as a main light if I really really am pushed. Same with the 4 taillights.

Most days when commuting I just have two of each fitted, but if I needed to I could put them all on and xmas tree it.

I’m not sure why the rodents don’t like the lights, but they don’t. The owls can spot a bike riders lights from miles away, they’ve learned that cyclists with lights = dinner time. That’s the thing with having loads of experience in riding at night, on dark country lanes, you get to see things like this.
The things you learn on here! Now you mention it I did a night ride london to cambridge where I noticed some creatures emerging from the roadside, including possibly a badger.

curious - why is this? Why are they flushed out?

And the owls know this but the rodents don't know that the owls know?

Clever things owls.

Actually, Owls are a bit thick. I know an animal trainer who works in the movies. She says a crow will learn a trick in a couple of days. Same trick will take an owl about three weeks. She said she always felt for the trainers working with the owls on Harry Potter.

Well, you never hear the phrase "Wise old rat", do you?

And guess what, the rats are cleverer than owls, they just get a bad press lol

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Badgers can be remarkably fast moving. I've had a couple of very close misses with badgers that zoomed out into the road in the night. Also watch out for deer (day and night).

Moving on from owls I had a really lovely daytime encounter with a kestrel(?): It flew along just ahead of me, at my pace (maybe 25-30 kmh) quite low to the ground, flicking from side to side between the hedges. Went on for a couple of hundred metres.
Yep I've had an encounter with a Badger, about 25mph downhill with the trailer loaded with 'comfy' camping gear :eek: I had to stop for a 'cigarette' and a glass of something restorative after that. :sweat:

Badgers can be remarkably fast moving. I've had a couple of very close misses with badgers that zoomed out into the road in the night. Also watch out for deer (day and night).

Moving on from owls I had a really lovely daytime encounter with a kestrel(?): It flew along just ahead of me, at my pace (maybe 25-30 kmh) quite low to the ground, flicking from side to side between the hedges. Went on for a couple of hundred metres.
I had a Harris Hawk fly alongside me a couple of months ago.

Top Bottom