Nissan Leaf - what do we think?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Evenings!
We have had a missive from EDF offering us a deal on an EV tariff and lease of an electric car - probably a Leaf. The Megane dci is getting on a bit, and it's always nice to engage New Toy Mode. We can work with the mileage and range limitations, and we have off-road parking and a convenient place to mount a Dispenser of Sparks.
Anyone had one? Got an opinion?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
My neighbour has one but has no home electrial pixie transfer box so charges it somewhere? Besides the looks of them (I can't be too harsh as I drive a Juke! :laugh:) I'm starting to see the potential in e vehicles.

My sister has a double driveway with a chargepoint that's never used and there's a double charger 30ft away from me on this site I could plug into anytime I like - I'm talking myself into it as I type

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Doc, why would EDF do that out of the blue?

1st or 2nd generation Leaf?

2nd is OK but a friend had one and it just stopped for no reason and had to be recovered by Nissan from Cumbria- they're a few years old now- first gen is probably not worth it.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
A work colleague is on her second.
She had a first gen and last year acquired a second generation. From the conversations with her, the first gen had its limitations. She finds the second generation much better and now sees no reason to go back to an internal combustion engine.
If not part of the deal, I would do some research on delivery of the angry pixies. l have a hybrid, but at least for the time being, leave the charging cable running under the garage door to a standard 3 pin plug. Although this takes longer, it suits my current driving needs, so isn't a problem for me. I had it mind that it was simply a case of contacting a registered charge point installer,who would run a take off point, but I saw a You Tube video a month or so ago which suggested that was not always the case. And, depending upon your circumstance, may want to future proof the installation.

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
A work colleague is on her second.
She had a first gen and last year acquired a second generation. From the conversations with her, the first gen had its limitations. She finds the second generation much better and now sees no reason to go back to an internal combustion engine.
If not part of the deal, I would do some research on delivery of the angry pixies. l have a hybrid, but at least for the time being, leave the charging cable running under the garage door to a standard 3 pin plug. Although this takes longer, it suits my current driving needs, so isn't a problem for me. But I had it mind that it was simply a case of contacting a registered charge point installer,who would run a take off point. But I saw a You Tube video a month or so ago which suggested that was not always the case. And, depending upon your circumstance, may want to future proof the installation.

On yesterday’s walk I noticed a terrace of houses, a couple of them had charge points attached to the front wall. They stood out as they were new and white in colour against the red of the brickwork.
A lot of the local newbuilds have them, usually freestanding on a stout wooden post.
I think the pace of change is going to be faster than most people think.

gzoom

Über Member
I had 1.5gen Leaf on lease for 2 years as my first EV. That was back in 2015, VW at the time was still trying to convince the world about 'clean diesels', and rapid charging above even 50KW chargers was big news versus the 350KW here with us now....but I digress.

Fantastic family car, bigger than you think, it bought my daughter home from the hospital (her first trip in a car!!).

Despite its tiny M way range of sub 70 miles I took it every where, even on a 350 mile road trip in the Peak District. Its dull compared to our current Model X (what isn't) but it also cost less to own over 2 years compared to just the SEATS upgrade in the Tesla!!!

I would happily have one again as our main family car any time :smile:.

17014390699_0e918ca722_c_d.jpg

26212888450_6dd4d6d25d_c_d.jpg

26477924151_3ec989d570_c_d.jpg

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
The change won't happen. Theres only 40% of the neodymium required to replace every ICE car with a battery one, not to mention the lithium carbonate or hydroxide. It physically cannot ever happen as the dreamers wish.

Getting back to topic, as a lease vehicle its probably ok. Despite the gnashing of teeth most people come up with about range, how often do we do hundreds of miles in one hit? Its Golf sized, hatchbqck, so probably eminently practical for daily life.

I wouldn't purchase one - theyre still using air cooled batteries, which is not conducive with a long life, and its not terribly rare to find mark 1 versions for sale with as little as 30 miles range left jn them - but as a lease deal the risk is someone elses. Id be inclined to go for it.

Who would pay for your charging point? Cheap they are not, and you don't want to be paying for a proproetory item that may not be future proof (there are 4 main standards, and its unclear which will ultimately prevail long term). Volvo paid for ours as part of the deal when buying the car so that was painless, but not sure how that would work with a lease. You can, of course, charge off regular mains, but its a messy ballache with extension leads, which isn't recommended, and takes a loonnngggg time. Questions over aside, that id be inclined to go for it if the lease and fuel cost works out to be competitive over a similar sized ICE car.

gzoom

Über Member
Who would pay for your charging point? Cheap they are not, and you don't want to be paying for a proproetory item that may not be future proof (there are 4 main standards, and its unclear which will ultimately prevail long term).

Its not 2015 any more, standards are now all set :smile:.

EU/UK charge ports are now ALL* Type 2 for home/AC and CCS for rapid.

*The Leaf + Lexus UX still uses CHADEMO for rapid charging, but for the charge point at home they are still Type 2 - same as all other EVs.

The charge port on rapid chargers are fixed so you cannot do anything about it, CHADEMO is currently still as popular as CCS due to the number of Leafs around, but over time they will disappear and all rapid chargers in the EU will be CCS only.

I like the idea of an EV but every time I come across a thread like this it convinces me my decision to wait a few more years is the correct one.
The industry is making great strides but a way to go before I feel confident in spending the money to get one.
Once charging points are more common and evolution of new technology has slowed, then I may take the risk.
I keep cars a long time 10+ years and it's something I'd like to keep doing.

mustang1

Guru
As a simple A-to-B car, electric cars are THE way to go. You don't have to warm the engine up to operating temperature, you just get in and go (at full pelt if you want to). There is no noise and as mentioned above, the cars a re more spacious than you think. A Golf size Leaf will have more interior room than the Golf.

Main dealer servicing is a cr4p show. With so few items needing servicing, the dealers still want to charge high prices for not doing much, so look into that. Nissan increased prices of servicing from "very good" to "you're having a laugh" ("...but we gotta make a profit" they complain). Still, waaay cheaper servicing than those pesky German companies, they are REALLY annoying with their service plans costs.

IDK much about the new Leaf, but I read something like they dont have intelligent battery cooling systems on some (or all?) models. For me I dont think it's a big deal as a runabout but you may need the cooling. Again, IDK the details, but I think the more efficient cabin heating is available in the 2nd gen Leaf which was only available on some models of the 1st gen Leaf which you may find worth the cost during winter.

byegad

Legendary Member
We have a Toyota Corolla Touring Hybrid 1.8l Atkinson cycle engine. Give that we will likely change cars before 2030, it's likely that a plug in Hybrid will replace it.
If I'm still driving in 2030 then electric it will be and hopefully the charger for the plug in Hybrid will be the type we can use then.
However given my then age, and assuming I'm still even around, that's not certain.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I know you have mentioned range limitations, but I would definitely be looking into would be real world mileage, not the advertising guff and whether that still suites your anticipated journeys. Driven with care, on a pleasant day (say 15C), with no electrics on such as heating and a journey with little stop/start, I can achieve 93% of what VW claim is the battery range. On a mid winter frosty morning, headlights, heating the cabin, heated seats, heated mirrors and glass, that percentage would bomb to around 43%, were I to have all of that equipment on for whole of the battery charge.
You will find some videos on YouTube about real world mileage. Carwow is one which springs to mind I saw about a month ago.

Top Bottom