Nitrogen filled tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DWiggy

Über Member
I was watching 5th Gear last night and there was an article on filling car tyres with Nitrogen, being a larger molecule than air Nitrogen does not pass through the rubber tyre reducing the need to constantly re inflate your tyres.
Has anyone tried this? as from experience road bike tyres don't hold onto there air and might be a useful alternative.

chqshaitan

Guru
Costo fill your car tyres with nitrogen as standard when you get new tyres from them.

I have not had any tyres from them myself but I have known people who have.

I can imagine it would be a lot of hassle and expensive to continually top up bike tyres using nitro.

Worth a looksie though

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It would take me longer to think about using nitrogen than to top up my tyre pressures once in a while, so I have never bothered. In fact, typing this reply took longer than it would to have done the job!

Do you type with one finger (the index finger) and pause for a sip of tea between each tap of the keyboard?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Do you type with one finger (the index finger) and pause for a sip of tea between each tap of the keyboard?
No, I lie about in bed using a tablet computer and type one letter at a time using a stylus so I do not get greasy fingerprints on its screen - that's why this reply is taking me so long!

I own a good quality track pump which is why topping up tyre pressures does not take me long.

Next question please! :thumbsup:

sidevalve

Über Member
Time to top up with air - couple of mins, time to top up with notrogen same. Number of times required with air not really that many that you can't spare a few mins once a week or so checking [bike or car]. Might be usefull for formula one but out here in the real world, other than for overpaid presenters to fill in a bit of time it's a total waste. of effort.

snailracer

Über Member
80% of air is nitrogen, which does permeate through rubber slower than O2 and CO2, so with regular small topups, the tyre would eventually contain almost pure nitrogen anyway. Racing car tyres are fitted/refitted constantly, so you can't rely on the topup cycle to purge out the O2 and CO2, but in any case, air does not leak out fast enough to have any effect during the short duration of a race.

Nitrogen is used for racing cars because their tyres get hot enough to convert moisture to steam, which would change the pressure - compressed nitrogen is dry, so using it is an easy way to eliminate moisture. Compressed air is usually also dry, but not safe to use when there is fuel vapour and ignition sources around because it can feed a fire.

Normal bike tyres are constantly topped up and don't get hot enough to boil the moisture, so I can't see much benefit in using nitrogen.

subaqua

What’s the point
have done it the opposite way and filled tyres with various blends of Nitrox from standard 21% o2 (air) up to 80% o2 ( that made me cry ) and there wasn't any noticeable difference that way.

Nosaj

Why not top up with helium would save money on the lighter wheel upgrades.

And if you do get a puncture and you have any helium left in the inner tube at least you can entertain your mates with your funny voice.

subaqua

What’s the point
Why not top up with helium would save money on the lighter wheel upgrades.

And if you do get a puncture and you have any helium left in the inner tube at least you can entertain your mates with your funny voice.

not at the price of helium. plus its a very small molecule , compared to O2

D

Deleted member 23692

As long as you don't get a puncture or other need to deflate your tyres, you're exponentially filling them with nitrogen every time you top the air up.... and or free!

Nitrogen = snake oil for tyres

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
My car tyres are filled with nitrogen, I can't say I've noticed any difference, though I was told I'd get better fuel economy. Not so.

Top Bottom