No Beer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
This World Cup is a farce. It just isn't right having a football World Cup finals in the winter. Surely the way too powerful Qatar royal regime/family knew most arriving fans would want to consume the 'infidels':rolleyes: alcohol. Why get it banned at the last minute! 🤔 However, I've heard that the ban is just for the 'peasants' as those in the 150 grand a match 'courtesy boxes' or whatever they call them can drink Champagne till it comes out their ears.:rolleyes:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This World Cup is a farce. It just isn't right having a football World Cup finals in the winter. Surely the way too powerful Qatar royal regime/family knew most arriving fans would want to consume the 'infidels':rolleyes: alcohol. Why get it banned at the last minute! 🤔 However, I've heard that the ban is just for the 'peasants' as those in the 150 grand a match 'courtesy boxes' or whatever they call them can drink Champagne till it comes out their ears.:rolleyes:

They had to put it in the winter as Qatar is way too hot in summer. Money talks though. :sad: Shouldn't be held there anyway, due to the human rights issues, and the number of dead workers.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Best thing would have been for a United stand and for the teams to boycott it
Some hope, with all the money and vested interests involved.
And then you get the FIFA president accusing the West of hypocrisy, when he's the hypocit. Unbelievable.

Most of the fan photos "seem" to be locals anyway, so beer sales won't be for them (seems to apply to most Teams).

A good few years ago a company I worked at got a UN research contract in the middle East. Based in the UAE but spending several days in each of the countries including a weekend in Bahrain. Come Thursday afternoon the international hotels were full of good Saudis at the bars, drunk and letching after any young woman they could see. That's what my former colleagues saw and were warned about. Apparently the land bridge there was a traffic jam at that "rush hour".

I do wonder how faithful the locals are to no alcohol when away from their families and normal life. Soccer not being a normal part of their life of course.

Not sure how true the Bahrain anecdote would be now of course but it would be interesting to find out how dry Qatari life really is.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
During the tournament remember to not watch any matches or interact with official media in anyway. The only way to make FIFA think again is to blank the tournament . Even negative comments with be counted as interaction so do nothing and say nothing until its over.

Anything else will be taken as tacit approval.

stephec

Legendary Member
A good few years ago a company I worked at got a UN research contract in the middle East. Based in the UAE but spending several days in each of the countries including a weekend in Bahrain. Come Thursday afternoon the international hotels were full of good Saudis at the bars, drunk and letching after any young woman they could see. That's what my former colleagues saw and were warned about. Apparently the land bridge there was a traffic jam at that "rush hour".

I do wonder how faithful the locals are to no alcohol when away from their families and normal life. Soccer not being a normal part of their life of course.

Not sure how true the Bahrain anecdote would be now of course but it would be interesting to find out how dry Qatari life really is.

About five years ago I was on a training course in Germany with two other English, a Dutch woman, a Brazilian bloke, Thai bloke, a Norwegian lad, and two Saudi guys.

We all used to meet in the bar at night, and one evening we're all sat round drinking as the Brazilian is taking photos, all was going well until someone jokingly pointed out to the Saudis that they might not want to be pictured with glasses of whisky in their hands, you've never seen two people look so frightened. 😂

During the tournament remember to not watch any matches or interact with official media in anyway. The only way to make FIFA think again is to blank the tournament . Even negative comments with be counted as interaction so do nothing and say nothing until its over.

Anything else will be taken as tacit approval.

The tournament will be watched by millions of people around the world, as it always is and always will be.
The only way viewers boycotting it will make any difference at all to FIFA will be if the numbers of football fans boycotting it will be huge, and that will not be happening. I even doubt whether there will be a public boycott in any of those countries whose people are being exploited and killed working on the stadiums in Qatar.
The next WC location has already been settled and the 2030 will soon be. It will not go to any Gulf State location anytime soon, if ever, following the controversy of this one.
The only hope is for major footballing nations, and the minor ones who also have a lot of influence, to ensure that corruption at top levels, which has been widespread, is eliminated and no longer uses bribery to influence decisions on future venues.
Fat chance, I know, but I shall still be watching my country's matches in the Finals for the first time in 64 years. I might never see it again.

Top Bottom