No Beer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
FIA is indeed the organisation that governs and sets the rules for motor racing worldwide inc F1. The F1 group itself is a commercial body that owns the rights to run and profit from F1 for the next 90 years and runs the races on tracks that must meet FIA's requirements.

The President of the FIA, which sanctions F1 locations, is Mohammed bin Sulayem from Dubai which no doubt influences the decisions of where to hold F1 races. I believe Qatar has a contract to run Grand Prix races until 2032.

So where is the similarity between the way football and F1 are run internationally and how does the running of the World Cup every four years for competing countries compare to running F1 with 23 races per year for commercial organisations?

Of course where the World Cup is held will not stop kids playing football, but it illustrates the importance, influence and huge reach of football compared to F1, which is all about money.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
FIA is indeed the organisation that governs and sets the rules for motor racing worldwide inc F1. The F1 group itself is a commercial body that owns the rights to run and profit from F1 for the next 90 years and runs the races on tracks that must meet FIA's requirements.

The President of the FIA, which sanctions F1 locations, is Mohammed bin Sulayem from Dubai which no doubt influences the decisions of where to hold F1 races. I believe Qatar has a contract to run Grand Prix races until 2032.

So where is the similarity between the way football and F1 are run internationally and how does the running of the World Cup every four years for competing countries compare to running F1 with 23 races per year for commercial organisations?

Of course where the World Cup is held will not stop kids playing football, but it illustrates the importance, influence and huge reach of football compared to F1, which is all about money.

All very nice but when will you give a reason why it's ok for you watch the world cup . Don't the deaths during construction bother you ?

It's all blather so far.

All very nice but when will you give a reason why it's ok for you watch the world cup . Don't the deaths during construction bother you ?

It's all blather so far.

I think those deaths bother all footy fans, its shocking.
The 37 deaths building the stadiums is bad, but total deaths of 6,500 since Qatar was awarded the world cup is criminal.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I see that many broadcasters in UK have chosen not to show the opening ceremony. Never mind Morgan Freeman was there to host the proceedings. Beer or no beer.

How selective we can be. How do you think Dubai was built and still building? Same labour, exact same operating recruitment and work conditions, same labour source etc. Same with Singapore.

F1 is the same.

Why armbands, faded jerseys etc. Why not donate the match fees / salaries to a fund to support all those who lost their lives.

Last edited:

It's all blather so far.

I watch the football because I love the game and, as I said earlier, this is the first time in 64 years that my country has played in the Finals. The deaths during construction bother me, although tbh no more and no less than unfair deaths and killings all over the world as a result of governments' actions in this imperfect world. My not watching the World Cup in Qatar would have absolutely zero effect on any of those deaths, or the treatment of gay people in that country, although it may give me some bragging rights when comparing right-on credentials with my friends, or massaging my own ego.

Are you saying that the probably hundreds of people on this forum, the millions of people in the UK and many more millions across the world have anything to be ashamed of in watching the tournament? I do not envy you for your feeling of moral superiority.

To make myself feel just that little bit better about myself I shall not watch any of Qatar's games, no great sacrifice, which will have precisely the same impact as you not watching any matches.

Meanwhile the situation around choice of venues for F1 has absolutely no similarity or relevance to choice of World Cup venues...other than money and corruption does influence both.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I watch the football because I love the game and, as I said earlier, this is the first time in 64 years that my country has played in the Finals. The deaths during construction bother me, although tbh no more and no less than unfair deaths and killings all over the world as a result of governments' actions in this imperfect world. My not watching the World Cup in Qatar would have absolutely zero effect on any of those deaths, or the treatment of gay people in that country, although it may give me some bragging rights when comparing right-on credentials with my friends, or massaging my own ego.

Are you saying that the probably hundreds of people on this forum, the millions of people in the UK and many more millions across the world have anything to be ashamed of in watching the tournament? I do not envy you for your feeling of moral superiority.

To make myself feel just that little bit better about myself I shall not watch any of Qatar's games, no great sacrifice, which will have precisely the same impact as you not watching any matches.

Meanwhile the situation around choice of venues for F1 has absolutely no similarity or relevance to choice of World Cup venues...other than money and corruption does influence both.

So you don't care , that's fair enough I suppose.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
So you don't care , that's fair enough I suppose.

you would have some sort of argument if people were paying a subscription to Fifa / Qatar to watch the games.

given they are on free to air TV, you argument doesn't hold water.

if you don't want to watch, fair enough, but don't pretend that is making a difference to Qatar's human rights policies or that those who choose to watch it are somehow morally bankrupt

FishFright

More wheels than sense
you would have some sort of argument if people were paying a subscription to Fifa / Qatar to watch the games.

given they are on free to air TV, you argument doesn't hold water.

if you don't want to watch, fair enough, but don't pretend that is making a difference to Qatar's human rights policies or that those who choose to watch it are somehow morally bankrupt

And you don't care either , fair enough.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
You obviously are very keen to show you care a lot more than I do (and by extension all those millions of people who will watch the World cup).

We get the virtuous signals and lessons in morality from you loud and clear.

Deaths during construction you don't care I get it.
A country killing gay people you don't care I get it.
Incarceration without charge you don't care I get it.

Men in shorts kicking a ball tops all that?

Deaths during construction you don't care I get it.
A country killing gay people you don't care I get it.
Incarceration without charge you don't care I get it.

Men in shorts kicking a ball tops all that?

Whatever.

Your comments show quite clearly that you are blind to anything beyond your sense of moral superiority and righteousness.

As far as your opinion goes in the debate over watching the tournament on TV, and to paraphrase Peter Cook: "We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the battle".

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Whatever.

Your comments show quite clearly that you are blind to anything beyond your sense of moral superiority and righteousness.

As far as your opinion goes in the debate over watching the tournament on TV, and to paraphrase Peter Cook: "We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the battle".

"Whatever" sums it nicely doesn't it. It's not like you care about anyone else compared to watching football.

Top Bottom