No booze yesterday Christmas!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

damj

There's a first - probably since my late teens. At 46 stopped booze in September this year not touched a drop since. I didn't think it was such a big issue, after all I haven't really drunk much since my early twenties, however, once the kids were born and work pressures increased I'd drink to relax, be sociable and it just became part of the routine.
What a difference, I'm sat here it's after midnight, I'm as fresh as a daisy. I'd have usually been well away (asleep) by now, absolutely done for. I'm convinced it's because I've stayed dry. I won't apologise for sounding like a bore, I've done enough of this in recent weeks.. It's a good feeling.

BorderReiver

Veteran
There is a huge amount of pressure in the UK to drink "socially". If you don't drink alcohol, temporarily or permanently, you are regarded as some sort of social freak. I don't drink, never have, never wanted to so I can't really say if I would feel much worse after a heavy day of Christmas boozing. I do know I get sick of explaining to people that I don't want a beer/wine/whatever as if I need to justify it. I don't smoke either and yet there doesn't appear to be any pressure to justify that!

So well done for having a "dry" Christmas. I'm sure you managed to enjoy yourself anyway and will feel much better come January.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
I didn't drink yesterday either, apart from cups of tea and soft drinks. I did all my drinking when I was younger and I just can't be doing with hangovers any more. I'm off out on the bike in a while and I feel fresh as a daisy ^_^

subaqua

What’s the point
was too ill to drink ! spent most of the day in bed coughing my lungs out and trying to lie in a position where the snot didn't run into my gob . a little better today however

gbb

Legendary Member
Very light drinker here, it just doesnt agree with me if I overdo it.
2 bottles of Budwieser and half a glass of wine all day, that I can handle but any more and my heart rate goes mental.

bpsmith

Veteran
I have been toying with quitting the booze for a bit. I don't drink loads generally, but do fall into the trap of having a bottle or two of beer a night after work sometimes. This lasts for a week or so then fall back to just the weekend.

Last month I found that I had put on over half a stone. Beer and less cycling are the culprits. Stopped the beer for 3 weeks and lost said half a stone, without any cycling too. Amazing how those extra calories add up!

Drunk quite a bit of volume through the day yesterday between Bucks Fizz, Mulled Wine and Prosecco with family through the day. Was all fairly low percentage though and feel fine today.

I am going to either just stop completely in January, and see how long it can last, or am going to set myself a low target to aim for over the year.

Although there will be many tea total people that live alone, I think that if a person is on their own it can be harder to not drink. I live alone and don`t drink much. I drink when there is a need not so much for the sake of it.

Its the opposite for me too @night cycler I only really drink in company, I find it easier not to drink on my own, there's just no real urge.

Its the opposite for me too @night cycler I only really drink in company, I find it easier not to drink on my own, there's just no real urge.

That`s interesting. I find it`s a big help avoiding drink to be in touch with people. Thing is, with the passing of time the social circle & human contact per se has become very small indeed. A lot of elderly people are like this. I understand there has been an increase in the number of 60 years plus hitting the bottle more. Although not good, I understand it.

Last edited:

Lonestar

Veteran
I drank yesterday (at home alone) but I can't remember the last time I was in a pub,must be a few years ago after a funeral but even then I didn't stay as I no longer like drinking or being half intoxicated in public.Also as I have work tomorrow so I wont drink today and as I have the next four days on I won't drink at all.Will probably have my next drink on New Years Eve.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I haven't drunk for over thirty years, despite being a regular pub goer in my teens and twenties when I couldn't imagine not being a drinker. There came a point when I just lost interest in it and I don't miss it at all. I can go into a pub and stick to soft drinks or a coffee and I am never minded to drink alcohol. People who try and force a drink on you to "Be sociable" are a bloody nuisance and I end up being quite rude if they persist. If they're a non smoker I respond by trying to force a cigarette on them.

Mrs M

Guru
Mr M says it's ok, it's after 11am and the Toblerone will soak it up :smile:.
image.jpg

Levo-Lon

Guru
I had one bottle of london pride before dinner..
i had nearly 5 yrs tea total ish..pint if i was out for a meal..
im going to have a dry Jan and see how i feel as i have been pissing it up the last 12mth and im getting a fat belly and feeling unfit...the wife has been tea total for all her post teen life..sh hates alchohol..and usually people who have had too much..lol

Top Bottom