No cycling boom around here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Not just London it's boom time but the south east in general. Surrey, Kent and Essex are heaving with cyclists. Go back 10 years and you would see a few cyclists but no where near on the scale that you see today.

At Box Hill yesterday there were more cyclists then one could count. It's a marvellous sight. Long may it continue.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I prefer it how it was 15 years ago.
Can you expand on that dodgy.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Since i got back into bikes about 2006 ive noticed the surge and especially post TDF uk...
yes its popular but the cost of bikes seems to have risen with the popularity..maybe this has a bearing?

i bought a brand new Trek 7.1 in 06 ,i found the receipt last night ..£270..there now £380..
Yes i know its 10 yrs later .but you would think the increased sales would make them cheaper respectively.

ie a 12k clio in 06 doesn't cost 18k now..if you see my point...
fuel prices are surging back up so cycles will be more common on the roads soon id think...it does seem to go hand in hand..

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
In the last few days I've had trouble finding somewhere to park my bike in Richmond (upon Thames), Regent Street and Oxford. Kingston (upon Thames).
I went To do a spot of shopping last autumn on a wet day and so didn't expect to find a problem locking up my bike. There are multiple areas with bike racks, some could hold 40 bikes and everyone was full, I felt like a car driver, going around the area just trying to find somewhere to park my bike!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
In the last few days I've had trouble finding somewhere to park my bike in Richmond (upon Thames), Regent Street and Oxford. Kingston (upon Thames) Wheelers are closed to new members.

Yesterday I took a long ride through Berkshire and Oxfordshire, and saw lots of other riders. Lots of lycra - but mixed sex so not strictly mamils, some families and lots of couples on hybrids. And so many waves I barely had time to get enraged at the ones who didn't (@ianrauk)

Staying in Abingdon, so a wave to @Fab Foodie, too.
Oi ... Next time let me know!! Hope you enjoy it :-)

13 rider

Guru
I been cycling again for less than 2 years and the numbers seem of cyclist seems to have increased in that time around Leicester .Summer evening around Bradgate park you will see plenty of riders . The route up the Wreake valley on a Sunday can be like some cycling highway it gets pretty busy .

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I was cycling in Cheshire/Wirral yesterday. There were cyclists of all persuasions out and about, and lots of them.

Cambridge is full of cyclists.
Cambridge is unbelievable!

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I'm not seeing massive changes in Manchester TBH, the Oxford Road/Studentville corridor has always been a bike heavy blip but certainly in my neck of the woods there's no more riders now than ever before. I live on a bus route, quite a busy road and see a trickle of cyclists at best. at work I can still count on one hand the cyclists in the summer, in the winter its just me.

The local bike shops are never full, even Halfords barely ever has customers when I wander in there, a couple of independent LBS's that catered for different ends of the market (inc Surosa) have closed down altogether.

speccy1

Is the so-called boom in cycling largely illusory?

I reckon it is in my patch of the north east - Tyne and Wear and County Durham.

There are no more cyclists now than when I returned to cycling about four years ago.

I use the C2C path a lot, which as a key national challenge route, one might expect to be busy both with locals and those doing the full ride.

Routinely, I can trundle up it for eight or 10 miles and only meet a handful of cyclists - and sometimes none - coming the other way.

My mate Chris has a good handle on this, he rides most days and manages my local bike shop.

He told me he sees fewer cyclists on his travels, and most of the shop's customers are regulars who have been using the place on and off for years.

I've less of a handle on roadie numbers, the handful of local clubs seem to survive OK, and there has been a couple of new ones open in the last few years, so that might indicate a small increase.

The guy who runs the bike shop in Leyburn, north Yorkshire, told me he saw a blip just after Le Tour, but most of those new roadies no longer ride, so he's back to his core of mountain bikers.

That there London is an exception, @ianrauk posted a report saying there are now more cyclists on Blackfriars Bridge than car drivers.

When I cycled a bit in the West End in the 1980s, it was me - on my Raleigh Marauder - a few couriers, but not many others.

Sales figures from Halfords - down - give a good indication of the national picture.

So apart from London, I reckon there are fewer cyclists compared to four or five years ago.

What are numbers like in your area?

There are loads here in West Devon, it`s a massive business here, do you want some of ours I`ll direct them your way?!:okay::tongue:

GM

Legendary Member
I met up with my daughter for an after work drink last week, my route took me alone the new Highway on the embankment in that there London. I hadn't been that way since it was built, and I was absolutely gobsmacked with the amount of cyclists using it. Dare I say it, but I think they should have made it bigger!

Top Bottom