No cycling for while

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
I knew someone who had this, years ago, they were extremely lucky -like you - and did make a full recovery but as I recall it was a long slow process.
Take it easy and let us entertain you!
GWS.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
GWS.
I thought you might be interested in a story behind this sort of stuff so I'm gonna ramble a bit.

In 1988 I was working at Parkland Hospital, Dallas, Texas and I set up a link between the nuclear medicine department and the MRI scanner in radiology. I pulled a load of black and white images off the the Diasonics Vax and loaded them in to nuclear medicine Sun computer that had a colour display. A colleague and I were adding 'heat scale' colours, basically oranges and reds in to a series of images and running through them like a cine film. I was well chuffed as the colours made it look like you could see the heart beating. You could see the blood going out in the arteries and they would expand a little as the blood dispersed.
The radiologist in charge of the department heard what we we doing and came in all excited becuase he had not seen this before. We pulled up a set of images and we were moving up and down the body of some guy and he asked us to stop. He said 'Wow look at that an aortic embolism'. I had to get him to explain what he was looking at. The we had go and dig around where we got the images from and it was somebody who had been sent home as they had found nothing wrong. They brought him in and operated that night. The radiologist I was working with published this at the radiological society conference that year.

Funny how a bit of monkeying around with data turns in to a useful tool. I guess that's what happens in research.

Anyway, I'm coaching a turbo training class at the end of your street in the community centre Friday nights for a tri club. We've got a selection of people from those who have hardly ridden on the road to top ten in world championships. I am sure we could make room for another, so when you are on the mend send me a message if you fancy it.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Going to be off the bike for a while, but lucky to be here.

9 days ago I suffered a subarachnoid haemorrge, undoubtedly the worst experience of my life. But thanks to some excellent treatment in the RVI in Newcastle I am back home. Going to be a long road back with at least 3 months off work. Spending days in bed at the moment in recovery, it's surprising how the smallest of tasks leave me absolutely drained. Even getting up a having shower, ends up with me having to have nap.
Doctors reckon that around 40% of those who suffer this never make it to hospital. I'm putting my survival down to my fitness and a huge slice of luck.

I would interested to hear if anyone out there has suffered the same condition, and how you got through it.

jeez, happy you're still here, I watched my headteacher die in front of me from one of those, they're a hideous thing to happen. Sadly no experience of seeing people recover but very best wishes and fingers crossed for you.

postman

Legendary Member
All the best from grumpy old me here in Leeds.No not grumpy really,all of us i can say wish you a speedy recovery,please do as you are told.Rest when you have to and take it easy.Rest is the best cure.Don't get hooked on daytime tv keep on her and keep us all upto speed.
And finally a Merry Christmas.And a better New Year.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
addictfreak
All the best from grumpy old me here in Leeds.No not grumpy really,all of us i can say wish you a speedy recovery,please do as you are told.Rest when you have to and take it easy.Rest is the best cure.Don't get hooked on daytime tv keep on her and keep us all upto speed.
And finally a Merry Christmas.And a better New Year.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the good wishes.
I have no intention of rushing back to work, despite the fact that certain managers are already talking about a phased return. The consultant told me, at least 3 months so that is my starting point. I will reassess at that point, and make a choice. For once in my life I am actually going to do exactly as I'm told!

OP
OP
addictfreak
GWS.
I thought you might be interested in a story behind this sort of stuff so I'm gonna ramble a bit.

In 1988 I was working at Parkland Hospital, Dallas, Texas and I set up a link between the nuclear medicine department and the MRI scanner in radiology. I pulled a load of black and white images off the the Diasonics Vax and loaded them in to nuclear medicine Sun computer that had a colour display. A colleague and I were adding 'heat scale' colours, basically oranges and reds in to a series of images and running through them like a cine film. I was well chuffed as the colours made it look like you could see the heart beating. You could see the blood going out in the arteries and they would expand a little as the blood dispersed.
The radiologist in charge of the department heard what we we doing and came in all excited becuase he had not seen this before. We pulled up a set of images and we were moving up and down the body of some guy and he asked us to stop. He said 'Wow look at that an aortic embolism'. I had to get him to explain what he was looking at. The we had go and dig around where we got the images from and it was somebody who had been sent home as they had found nothing wrong. They brought him in and operated that night. The radiologist I was working with published this at the radiological society conference that year.

Funny how a bit of monkeying around with data turns in to a useful tool. I guess that's what happens in research.

Anyway, I'm coaching a turbo training class at the end of your street in the community centre Friday nights for a tri club. We've got a selection of people from those who have hardly ridden on the road to top ten in world championships. I am sure we could make room for another, so when you are on the mend send me a message if you fancy it.

What a fascinating story.

I hadn't realised that they are turbo classes on at the CC. Certainly something I could be interested in during the coming months. I will give it serious consideration. Thank you

postman

Legendary Member
Thanks for the good wishes.
I have no intention of rushing back to work, despite the fact that certain managers are already talking about a phased return. The consultant told me, at least 3 months so that is my starting point. I will reassess at that point, and make a choice. For once in my life I am actually going to do exactly as I'm told!
My wife can tell you a story about me.I was having an op at Otley Hospital hernia and also they were looking for a growth,that could have been serious luckily it was found and nothing more than fat.But my bosses rang on the morning of the op,asking when i was coming back.The wife went ballistic she told then i was down for an 08-00 operation and could they wait till i came round from the anethy.Wonderful really thoughtful of them.
So enjoy the season as best you can.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you weren't so far away I would offer to polish and service your bike for you as a Christmas present.... and to encourage you to make a quick recovery.

Edit: I think ths was what did for my old school friend a couple of years ago. Shocking.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you weren't so far away I would offer to polish and service your bike for you as a Christmas present.... and to encourage you to make a quick recovery.

Edit: I think ths was what did for my old school friend a couple of years ago. Shocking.
A lad I went to school with didn't even make it beyond the school - he dropped dead aged 17 or 18.

Top Bottom