No cycling for while

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Going to be off the bike for a while, but lucky to be here.

9 days ago I suffered a subarachnoid haemorrge, undoubtedly the worst experience of my life. But thanks to some excellent treatment in the RVI in Newcastle I am back home. Going to be a long road back with at least 3 months off work. Spending days in bed at the moment in recovery, it's surprising how the smallest of tasks leave me absolutely drained. Even getting up a having shower, ends up with me having to have nap.
Doctors reckon that around 40% of those who suffer this never make it to hospital. I'm putting my survival down to my fitness and a huge slice of luck.

I would interested to hear if anyone out there has suffered the same condition, and how you got through it.

Grayduff

Über Member
Get well soon and Have a happy xmas..:thumbsup:

asterix

Comrade Member
That sounds extremely unpleasant (had to look it up). My 'dooring' gave me a sub-dural haematoma and brain injury but although like you I went through a period of very low energy I can say that I have got over it very well now. Going back to work was not an option for me.

I think you are right: being a fit person through cycling or whatever gives you a big advantage in recovering.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'd never heard of the condition so I just looked it up. That sounds really nasty, but it's great that you are still here to tell us about it!

I had a serious health problem of my own this summer (DVT/ bilateral pulmonary embolism) and even since have been going through a similar period of recovery. I was housebound for well over a month, haven't ridden my bike since July and have only recently started to feel like things are slowly returning to normal. There is 'light at the end of the tunnel'!

It is very difficult (and scary!) going from being basically healthy and fairly fit, to being weak, helpless and close to death. I found the emotional trauma almost as bad as the physical trauma. I'm sure you will be feeling the same way. I found that talking about my recovery in my GWS thread helps me. My CycleChat cycling pals have been very supportive.

I wasn't sure at first that I really wanted to know what my chances were so there were questions that I didn't ask the doctors while I was in hospital. Eventually though, I was getting more scared not knowing so I started reading everything that I could about my condition. I found a website that had support forums for survivors of many serious medical conditions including mine (link to pulmonary embolism forum). It was reassuring to find that many people in recovery have similar problems to me. The site includes this forum for survivors of aneurysms. Be warned though - there will be discussions about some negative outcomes as well as the positive ones, so you should decide if you feel ready for those kinds of frank discussions.

Good luck with your recovery, addictfreak, and remember to let us know how you are getting on! :hello:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Get well soon! And if you have to rest, rest. Don't try and be a hero. Colin's experiences seem to be a good guide to doing recovery right.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Wow AF... glad to hear you are on the mend. I love the RVI for all sorts of reasons... your experience adds another one!

Have a quiet and happy Christmas!

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
Blimey, all the best for a full and quick recovery :hugs: . Happy Christmas you lucky man!!!

OP
OP
addictfreak
Thanks for good wishes, it's all much appreciated.

Colinj I will checkout those links thank you.

I have obviously been given lots of information by the consultant with regard to risks. Before my treatment he told me it carried a risk of stroke or in worst case death. I even said my goodbyes to my wife and son prior to going under anaesthetic, a very surreal and as you would expect upsetting time. But not having it treated would almost certainly have ended badly.

They actually discovered two (how lucky!) aneurysms. One of which was repaired using a platinum coil, inserted via my groin. The other will have to be addressed when I recover from this episode.

Top Bottom