No helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Dannyg said:
While I do think helmets offer protection against head injuries in some circumstances, I am not pro-compulsion. I know some people on this thread have been arguing for compulsion and I disagree with them - but I do think they are entitled to put their point of view without having abuse heaped upon them.

But this was the quote by David Walton that got most peoples backs up and by his own admission be stated he was being pig headed.
To anyone choosing not to wear a helmet where it known they COULD prevent injury, you are also then expecting everyone to pay the medical costs of your decision. That to me is the wrong bit, and the reason why I believe all SHOULD wear helmets.

He may have had a point, albeit wrong, its just a shame that he decided to take his ball home and not play anymore because others disagreed with him.

jashburnham

I gave up wearing a helmet in Feb, thinking about it it did coincide with my newly found "singleness" - a situation that was rather thrust upon me! I have to say that I much prefer life sans helmet these days especially in this lovely weather. Dreading having to strap it back on for the Etape.

Jaded

Dannyg said:
However I think the "anti-helmet lobby" is guilty of implying that any argument in favour of helmet use is an argument in favour of compulsory helmet use.

They have a point since the government has said that if helmet wearing reaches a certain level amongst the population then it will go for compulsion.

The reason you'll find loud voices responding to the 'helmet saved my life' anecdotes and the looks of horror at the bare heads is that there is a huge amount of emotional nonsense out there about helmets. There is also a lot of spurious nonsense from BHIT and others. If it is not countered then there is a possibility that helmet wearing (in those that have made the choice for the wrong reasons) reaches a level that leads to compulsion.

Danny

Legendary Member
Jaded said:
They have a point since the government has said that if helmet wearing reaches a certain level amongst the population then it will go for compulsion.
Where has the government said this?

Danny

Legendary Member
Sorry Jaded, your reference actually shows that the Government has no plans to make helmet wearing compulsory.

It is a record of a debate on a private member's bill on cycling. Although the back bench MP who put forward the bill believes that helmets should be compulsory, his arguments are clearly rejected by the Minister, Tony McNulty.

Tony McNulty acknowledges the strong case put forward by the CTC against compulsion and makes it clear that the Government does not support compulsion at this time. He does state that the government will review its options from "time to time", which in parliamentary speak is a polite brush off for a back bencher who clearly has a bee in his bonnet about the issue.

Jaded

Selective quoting. You could highlight "at this time" if you wanted.

How about:

"The Department is concerned about compliance and it wants the rate of helmet wearing to increase to a critical mass before it is made compulsory."

and this is what I said:

"They have a point since the government has said that if helmet wearing reaches a certain level amongst the population then it will go for compulsion."

OK

Danny

Legendary Member
Jaded said:
Selective quoting. You could highlight "at this time" if you wanted.

How about:

"The Department is concerned about compliance and it wants the rate of helmet wearing to increase to a critical mass before it is made compulsory."

and this is what I said:

"They have a point since the government has said that if helmet wearing reaches a certain level amongst the population then it will go for compulsion."

OK
That was a quote from the MP putting forward the private members bill. He was complaining that the Government was not taking swifter action to make it compulsory.

However, nothing that the Minister said in response suggested that the Government actually wants to make it compulsory.

Top Bottom