No helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Jaded said:
They have a point since the government has said that if helmet wearing reaches a certain level amongst the population then it will go for compulsion.

The reason you'll find loud voices responding to the 'helmet saved my life' anecdotes and the looks of horror at the bare heads is that there is a huge amount of emotional nonsense out there about helmets. There is also a lot of spurious nonsense from BHIT and others. If it is not countered then there is a possibility that helmet wearing (in those that have made the choice for the wrong reasons) reaches a level that leads to compulsion.

Two points - the "helmet saved my life" should be discounted as they are invalid - it takes no account of the risk to the population;)

Secondly the BHIT is not exactly famed for using the truth.....

In 2003 Alan Meale MP proposing an EDM on helmet use stated that:

That this House notes that every year in the UK approximately 28,000 children under the age of 16 years receive a serious head injury as a result of a cycling accident and that sadly a number die as a result, whilst for many others their accident will have a devasting impact on their life, in many cases restricting their abilities to develop, learn new skills, make new friends and face the lifelong challenges of the world; recognises that by simply wearing a bicycle helmet 85 per cent. of such head injuries could be prevented; commends the excellent campaign of the Bicycle Helmet Initiative Trust to get Parliament to introduce legislation to enforce the wearing of helmets by all bicyclists in the UK; and calls upon her Majesty's Government to give its full support to such a proposal which would both save lives and stop injuries on our roads.

Very tragic, and very untrue...... there are two figures here to be suspicious of -

28,000 is th total number of head injuries from ALL causes not form cycling which is less than 2,000

85% is a discredited figure from a single paper which was discredited.

Now the question is why are we not looking at how helmets could contribute in the other 26,000 children who receive a serious head injury whilst NOT cycling and that sadly a number die as a result, whilst for many others their accident will have a devastating impact on their life, in many cases restricting their abilities to develop, learn new skills, make new friends and face the lifelong challenges of the world

Origamist

Legendary Member
Cunobelin said:
Two points - the "helmet saved my life" should be discounted as they are invalid - it takes no account of the risk to the population;)

Secondly the BHIT is not exactly famed for using the truth.....

In 2003 Alan Meale MP proposing an EDM on helmet use stated that:

Very tragic, and very untrue...... there are two figures here to be suspicious of -

28,000 is th total number of head injuries from ALL causes not form cycling which is less than 2,000

85% is a discredited figure from a single paper which was discredited.

Now the question is why are we not looking at how helmets could contribute in the other 26,000 children who receive a serious head injury whilst NOT cycling and that sadly a number die as a result, whilst for many others their accident will have a devastating impact on their life, in many cases restricting their abilities to develop, learn new skills, make new friends and face the lifelong challenges of the world

Risk compensation for children is also particularly apposite:

Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology
Volume 28, Issue 1, January-February 2007, Pages 56-63
Barbara A. Morrongiello Jennifer Lasenbya and Beverly Walpolea
Psychology Department, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada N1G 2W1

Abstract

School-age children's self-reported risk compensation (greater risk-taking when wearing safety gear compared to when not doing so) was investigated using 6 common play situations. Children responded to hypothetical scenarios by rating intended risk-taking when wearing safety gear and not doing so, and by providing explanations for their behavior. Results revealed greater risk-taking scores under gear than no-gear conditions for every situation, indicating risk compensation operated for every activity. There was no significant variation in risk compensation with age or sex. Rationales for engaging in greater risk-taking when wearing safety gear revealed that the children believed wearing safety gear made them invulnerable to any degree of injury, protected them from serious injury, and resulted in them somehow being more competent to perform a higher-risk activity.

Dave5N

Über Member
Sorry, I skipped the last fifteen pages.

Did I miss anything?

Incidentally, I wear a helmet now. Everyone I know does. In a BC coaching environment and in BC regulated races they are compulsorary anyway.

snorri

Legendary Member
davidwalton said:
unless I think I am different (which I don't).

I knew a guy with similar thoughts, he had some problems.:blush:

Oh no here we go again :biggrin:. If you want to wear a helmet then fine, rather than have a goverment telling me what I can wear I believe I am able to make my own mind up thanks. :biggrin:

Mmmm just like seatbelts aren't good for you !

I've had 2 accidents in the last 2 years (neither my fault) - if it wasn;t for my helmet - well I shudder to think what would have happended to my skull !

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
How did we manage before helmets?

Every clubrun used to see at least two fatalities after people "landed on their heads", and we used to spend our clubnights in mourning whilst people would sob, "When is some bastard going to invent a cycle helmet so this carnage can stop"?

I must be one of the lucky few who survived, among all the thousands of cyclists who were wiped out annually. Not that I can remember any of them, but I am obviously in denial because people keep telling me that I am risking my life every time I ride bareheaded.

Spin City

Über Member
I am interested to hear from the 'pro-choice' lobby what they would do in a situation where helmet wearing was compulsory.

This may be a bike race, a triathlon, a sportive event, a cycling training course, etc.

Would they choose
1) to stand by their 'pro-choice' principles and not participate or, alternatively,
2) participate and forgo their 'pro-choice' stance?

Spin City

Über Member
It seems to me that if you choose to take part in the event then you agree to the 'rules' and in this situation you no longer have a choice about whether you wear a helmet or not.

Say helmet compulsion was extended and where you worked said you could only use their cycling facilities if you wore a helmet on your ride in to work (assuming you work and commute by bike).

Would you choose
1) to stand by your 'pro-choice' principles and either not cycle to work or just cycle to somewhere close by or, alternatively,
2) cycle to work, use the employer facilities and thus forgo your 'pro-choice' stance?

I think what I'm trying to say is that if helmet compulsion is extended then if you are a keen cyclist you would probably go along with compulsion.

This of course leads us on to people who don't normally cycle. Would these elements of compulsion stop them from ever starting to cycle?
I think that if it was accepted practice that cyclists wore helmets then it is likely that the starter cyclist would go along with the compulsion. I know I bought my first helmet to enter a triathlon.

Smokin Joe said:
How did we manage before helmets?

Every clubrun used to see at least two fatalities after people "landed on their heads", and we used to spend our clubnights in mourning whilst people would sob, "When is some bastard going to invent a cycle helmet so this carnage can stop"?

I must be one of the lucky few who survived, among all the thousands of cyclists who were wiped out annually. Not that I can remember any of them, but I am obviously in denial because people keep telling me that I am risking my life every time I ride bareheaded.

Come on................All that mourning - its only a feeble justification for wearing black socks!

Top Bottom