No longer using granny ring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gixxerman

Guru
I have been out for a 50 miler today.
The route I chose had quite a few hills on it.
Some of the hills were marked with the single arrow on the OS map, so a steep hill. Not sure what gradient gains a single / double / triple arrow.
Anyway I digress. Today was the first time that I have had no need to resort to the granny ring when climbing. I have had the bike (Trek 7.3 FX) since last August. During that time, I have done some quite long rides (including a 100 miler), but I always used the granny ring when climbing.
So I must be getting stronger / better.

Chrisc

Guru
One arrow means between 1 in 7 and 1 in 5 so up to 20%. Steep! And I thought Lincs was flat. :blush:

PS Two arrows is over 1 in 5, which means I walk...

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
Chrisc said:
And I thought Lincs was flat. :smile:
The southern part is.
Up here in the wolds, there are some quite steep bits.
In fact it is great cycling country. Typically rolling hills, with the odd really steep (or stunt as we say here) bit.
The scenery and views are quite nice as well.
Quite lucky living where I do. 15 mins from my door and I'm in the wolds. Love it.

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
There is only 1 hill that I walk on, its really steep in a 40mph zone, the cars scream up there at 45mph at the least. No way I take my chances on it. It's fun the other way though as I actually hit the speed limit of 40mph and can just about get above it at 41/43mph

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
Chrisc said:
Ah I see. Biggest hill I've seen there is on my brother in laws farm at North Willingham. It's a stinker!
That would be Williagham hill then. Yes it is quite a steep one and very long.
Next time you are in the area, check out these:-
One between Tealby and Binbrook on the B1203 known a Bully hill.
One between Claxby and Normanby-le-Wold which takes you all your time to walk up.

Klaus

Gixxerman said:
I have been out for a 50 miler today.
The route I chose had quite a few hills on it.
Some of the hills were marked with the single arrow on the OS map, so a steep hill. Not sure what gradient gains a single / double / triple arrow.
Anyway I digress. Today was the first time that I have had no need to resort to the granny ring when climbing. I have had the bike (Trek 7.3 FX) since last August. During that time, I have done some quite long rides (including a 100 miler), but I always used the granny ring when climbing.
So I must be getting stronger / better.

Excuse my ignorance (foreigner!): what's a "granny ring" ???

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
The smallest chanring of a triple chainring bike.
So called as it allows Granny's (grandmothers) to climb hills.

Chrisc

Guru
Gixxerman said:
That would be Williagham hill then. Yes it is quite a steep one and very long.
Next time you are in the area, check out these:-
One between Tealby and Binbrook on the B1203 known a Bully hill.
One between Claxby and Normanby-le-Wold which takes you all your time to walk up.

If you're getting up those buggers on the big ring that's impressive! :smile:

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
Chrisc said:
If you're getting up those buggers on the big ring that's impressive! :smile:
I wish!
Nope getting up them on the middle ring and smallest sprocket.
On my bike that is 38 tooth chainwheel and 32 tooth sprocket (the granny ring is 28). This equates to 1:18:1 (or 0.875:1 for the granny).
So I am hauling up steep hills in a gear that is greater then 1:1 which I am rather pleased about.:sad:

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
Fluffy said:
I use the middle ring and shift up/down on the cassette depending on steepness of the climb.
Yes that is the point I am making. I use the middle ring now.
When I first started I couldn't manage steep hills without resorting to the granny ring. So progress!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I worked myself out of the granny ring and did all but the steepest climbs in the middle ring.

Then I discovered optimum cadence and started using the granny ring again. Don't dismiss your granny - she has a purpose.

Top Bottom