No - Nose (Noseless) Bike Saddle Seat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kleban

I found this information on another forum. As a relatively newcomer to cycling I'm posting this without comment. However, I'm interested in reading your thoughts on this.

Bicycle saddles and reproductive health (USA website)
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/bike/

NIOSH National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health
NIOSH is piloting the use of videos on YouTube to generate curiosity on the benefits of using a no-nose (noseless) bike seat saddle for bicycle police officers. By working with several partners, including the police departments of Chicago, Las Vegas, Miami Beach, San Antonio, and Seattle, NIOSH developed a video with footage of bicycle police officers using a no-nose seat as a part of their daily safety check. Why is a no-nose bike seat part of their daily safety check? View the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEzfgS36eEE

Dan B

Disengaged member
http://quickrelease.tv/?p=562 - you might find this relevant

Zoiders

Not this old chestnut.

You may as well post a poll asking who has a limp noodle.

Some bugger somewhere must have a shiping container full of those sodding saddles which they can't shift and has spent the last ten years trying to flog them all.

Bicycle

I've heard this kind of thing over the years as a slightly giggly story... I had no idea it was serious.

Once I'd caused the birth of my three children, a kindly surgeon reduced almost to zero the chance of my becoming the progenitor of any further human life.

When I was still young enough to enjoy romance and the slightly sweatier activities associated with it, I do not believe I suffered the adverse effects of cycling on my conduct.

As a man, I care not two figs whether anyone else present during romance noticed anything amiss. If I enjoyed it, surely they did too?

D

Deleted member 1258

I've been cycling for over 40 years and have never had problems with the family jewels, everything works perfectly and always has done. If you're having problems in that department just check how you have the saddle set up. This story about the noseless saddles does the rounds regular and often.

Gbola

I've been cycling for over 40 years and have never had problems with the family jewels, everything works perfectly and always has done. If you're having problems in that department just check how you have the saddle set up. This story about the noseless saddles does the rounds regular and often.

Your statement is a classic example of one man anecdotal evidence. Research have shown prolong perineal pressure is associated with erectile dysfunction and I personally welcome no nose saddles as it at least to provide solution to the problem.

D

Deleted member 1258

Your statement is a classic example of one man anecdotal evidence. Research have shown prolong perineal pressure is associated with erectile dysfunction and I personally welcome no nose saddles as it at least to provide solution to the problem.

????? My post was just a statement of how it is not anecdotal evidence, I'm just about sixty now, still cycling,did 53 miles this morning, still capable of an impressive boner and still with an active sex live. This noseless saddle thing has been going the rounds on the internet at intervals for many years. If you set your saddle up correctly theres no perineal pressure and no problem, when you sit a bike you sit on your sit bones no where else.

Gbola

Erectile
????? My post was just a statement of how it is not anecdotal evidence, I'm just about sixty now, still cycling,did 53 miles this morning, still capable of an impressive boner and still with an active sex live. This noseless saddle thing has been going the rounds on the internet at intervals for many years. If you set your saddle up correctly theres no perineal pressure and no problem, when you sit a bike you sit on your sit bones no where else.
There is scientific evidence that cycling especially in an upright position rather than reclining position is associated with reduced oxygen flow to the tip of the penis and erectile dysfunction. Here are some links to the papers http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022534705617065 ; http://content.karger.com/ProdukteD...oduktNr=224083&Ausgabe=226813&ArtikelNr=52533.
You are an individual with unique characteristics and ways of cycling. The argument is about cyclists as a group compared to similar group of non cyclists. It is not about an individual.

D

Deleted member 1258

Erectile
There is scientific evidence that cycling especially in an upright position rather than reclining position is associated with reduced oxygen flow to the tip of the penis and erectile dysfunction. Here are some links to the papers http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022534705617065 ; http://content.karger.com/ProdukteD...oduktNr=224083&Ausgabe=226813&ArtikelNr=52533.
You are an individual with unique characteristics and ways of cycling. The argument is about cyclists as a group compared to similar group of non cyclists. It is not about an individual.

So how come most cyclists I know are happily married people with families, its not just about me its about what I see around me, obviously its not a subject for discussion at the cafe stop, but most of my cycling friends are family people, the ones I've seen get married over the years haven't had problems having children.

Gbola

So how come most cyclists I know are happily married people with families, its not just about me its about what I see around me, obviously its not a subject for discussion at the cafe stop, but most of my cycling friends are family people, the ones I've seen get married over the years haven't had problems having children.
This still remains your individual experience, not scientific evidence. Meanwhile, erectile dysfunction and infertility/fertility are two different things, please don't mix them up. It is only the woman who is sure of the father of her children

Bicycle

Erectile

We are all individuals with unique characteristics. I and many of the middle-aged, male cyclists I know are also providers of anecdotal evidence.

This topic is a bit of a joke amongst my male cycling friends, most lifelong cyclists, most romantically active, most with two or more children.

I worry about many things, but not this. Nor does anyone I know.

On the matter of sweaty romantic activity, I'm pretty sure that being reasonably fit and having good lung function and slimmer lines than I might otherwise have (through regular cycling on a traditional razor-like saddle) has been more of a boon than a curse.

I'm much more worried that Spurs might finish higher than the Greatest Team the World Has Ever Seen. Much, much more.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If the saddle is causing erectile dysfunction it's set up wrong - nose far too high.
Long before causing dysfunction, you'd have noticed pins and needles and general numbness in the area concerned. Don't ask me how I know this...
It's an utter non-story pushed by makers of peculiar saddles, and it comes out every so often, usually after oval chainrings and before L-shaped cranks.
It is, (if you'll pardon the expression) pure bollocks. If it was really that pressing a problem, we'd all be riding 'bents. I furthermore invite you to consider female anatomy in the saddle region. They've got rather more in the way of fragile and sensitive bodily structures down there...

Top Bottom