No - Nose (Noseless) Bike Saddle Seat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

This still remains your individual experience, not scientific evidence. Meanwhile, erectile dysfunction and infertility/fertility are two different things, please don't mix them up. It is only the woman who is sure of the father of her children

If a couple are having children it needs both to function, if one is not functioning they wont have children, not without the help of the fertility clinic. If the women is having an affair the marriage wont last.

If the saddle is causing erectile dysfunction it's set up wrong - nose far too high.
Long before causing dysfunction, you'd have noticed pins and needles and general numbness in the area concerned. Don't ask me how I know this...
It's an utter non-story pushed by makers of peculiar saddles, and it comes out every so often, usually after oval chainrings and before L-shaped cranks.
It is, (if you'll pardon the expression) pure bollocks. If it was really that pressing a problem, we'd all be riding 'bents. I furthermore invite you to consider female anatomy in the saddle region. They've got rather more in the way of fragile and sensitive bodily structures down there...

+ 1 on that. I talked about correct bike set up in my second post, you sit on the the sit bones in your arse, if you have pressure else where you have your set up wrong

brokenflipflop

Veteran
Well I've purchased a Brooks saddle because.....

Sex is borin', pain is fun,
I wanna cut me fingers off one by one,
There ain't no point in stayin' alive,
I wanna be dead when I'm 25.....

Seriously though. That bit between my balls and arse is absolutely killing me.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The last time I rode a Brooks saddle it was very comfy indeed.
It had had a good amount of time to mould itself to the bottom of its owner.
Sadly for orthodox wisdom, that owner was not me.
That owner wasn't even the same gender as me.
Very comfy saddle though.
Evidently my ar$e is the same shape as Plax's...

+1 For SMP Selle Italia saddles. Going to get myself one at some point in the new year. The nose points down and they have the biggest cut out of any saddle on the market. Used on any wet rides without mudguards I will be putting tape underneath for all the water that will come through it! You can get your hand in it. They also have the longest rails of any saddle on the market which gives greatest range for seat position which is one of the reasons bike fitter Steve Hogg likes them and writes about them here

I've been using an Arione for a couple of years but my "soft tissue" definitely isnt 100% comfortable in all positions so get some discomfort at some point during a ride. Enough for me to now consider others and going to get an SMP on test from The Bike Whisperer at some point in the new year. Another reason is my adductors (inner upper thigh muscles) are often strained from the wing bits of the Arione that are meant to break off with time...

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Your statement is a classic example of one man anecdotal evidence. Research have shown prolong perineal pressure is associated with erectile dysfunction and I personally welcome no nose saddles as it at least to provide solution to the problem.
Have you tried riding with a no nose saddle? Try one out first before commenting on them. The saddle's nose is a very important feature. On a 'normal' saddle, the rider does have the luxury of being able to move fore and aft as conditions dictate: not so on a 'noseless'. The nose also assists with cornering when the inner thigh presses against it.
Have I tried one? My late wife bought me a Hobsons Easy Seat - http://hobsonseats.com/new/ - tried it out for a few hundred miles on my hybrid. My verdict - what a waste of money!
Please feel free to start a poll and ask on this forum and other cycling forums how many men suffer from erectile dysfunction that is entirely due to cycling and not other reasons.

Gbola

Very interesting article.
Did you read the article well and the unsupported opinions used to counteract the scientific opinion. I am a cyclist myself but I do not deceive myself that cycling does not have his risks. Nobody on this forum has so far shown a scientific paper that has disproven the effect of cycling saddles on the perineum. Do you think millions of cyclists know anything about adjusting saddle positions. Anything that would encourage others to cycle and reduce its disadvantage is welcoming to me. At least I know I have the option of noseless or cut-out saddle to prescribe to people that are worried or disturbed about the perineal pressure.
The claim of me and my friends are about 60 year old and I have been cycling for 40 odd years does not hold water in a scientific arena. Do not fall into the common danger of enthusiasts of a sport ''it is 100% beneficial'. Nothing it is.

strofiwimple

Veteran
http://www.moonsaddle.com/

Just to add another saddle to the argument :rolleyes:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
+1 For SMP Selle Italia saddles. Going to get myself one at some point in the new year. The nose points down and they have the biggest cut out of any saddle on the market. Used on any wet rides without mudguards I will be putting tape underneath for all the water that will come through it!

I have one...as you can see in this pic.. probably the most comfortable saddle I have ever had/have.
standalone

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I used to have a noseless saddle on my Grifter, owing to the rather poor design about a third of the big lump of sponge pretending to be a seat fell off, eventually an extra third of saddle at the back fell off too, leaving me with a strip a couple of inches wide to perch on.

oldroadman

Veteran
A properly set up saddfle should cause no problems. The sympton of numbness points to a nose maybe a fraction too high. Cut outs can help with perineal pressure, but the majority of pros don't use them, and their time in the saddle is generally longer than mere mortals. and there does not appear to be a lack of offspring or happy ladies in their lives. Originally the cut out appeared on "female specific" saddles, to minimise friction in a sensitive area, then migrated to the general market.
Like most things about comfort on the bike, if it works and you like it, fine. pay your money and take your choice. But "noseless", why???
Marketing ploy by someone with a load of cheap seats made in China, most likely.
Be careful, this is how shell helmets started out and look where we are now (lights blue touchpaper and retires rapidly!).

Top Bottom