No overtaking lines...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Pete said:
I think L/Cs should be reinforced by special no overtaking signs, meaning just that: no overtaking by anyone of anything, even if stationary. If someone's stationary on a L/C there's a problem coming up anyway!

But Pete, if they ignore the white lines, why would they bother about any reinforcing signs?

As far as I can tell, some people are either ignorant, or willfully disobedient. The ignorant shouldn't have been able to get a licence in the first place, and the disobedient will simply carry on being so...

Pete

Arch said:
But Pete, if they ignore the white lines, why would they bother about any reinforcing signs?
I was thinking, it was just conceivable that both drivers knew of the "10mph" rule, so, assuming they'd judged my speed to be less than 10mph, they thought they were overtaking legally. Putting up the recognized lollipop sign:
noovertake.gif

- possibly with a qualifying text plate underneath saying 'not even of cyclists' or something - could carry additional legal force. After all it's not quite the same meaning as double white lines.

Of course, if someone's determined to break the law and drive dangerously, the only solution is enforcement.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Pete said:
noovertake.gif

- possibly with a qualifying text plate underneath saying 'not even of cyclists' or something - could carry additional legal force. After all it's not quite the same meaning as double white lines.

I like this idea. We could invent all sorts of qualifying plates like that.

"Yes, mate, this means you!"

"No, not even you, tosser!"

etc...

'When is it permitted to cross solid white lines in the centre of the road ?' was a standard question in the verbal part of the driving test when I took mine (admittedly 18 years ago...)

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a standard question in the theory part of the current test ?

So there should be no excuse for not understanding it.

The learn-it-by-heart-this-is-a-question-they're-bound-to-ask answers when I passed were something like
- if you're turning right into a side road or driveway, etc
- if forced to because the road is blocked by parked cars or other obstacle like roadworks
- if directed to by a police officer or other person directing traffic
- to pass a pedestrian, horserider or bicycle : but there was no specification of them doing less than this 10mph speed at the time...

I expect in practice what's happening is just the 'I've got to get past, otherwise they'll get in my way' blinkered mentality of some drivers, which applies to cycles, but also to L-drivers, milkfloats, etc

It really p*sses me off on the bike when some fool insists on passing me, just to get in my way.

But it isn't just bikes - years ago I sat with a girlfriend, giving her extra driving lessons, and I was appalled at the way some people used to squeeze past in the most ridiculous, inappropriate or just plain dangerous places
- some people saw a Learner as someone needing more room, someone who you either treated with greater courtesy, or gave a wide berth to, depending on your viewpoint
- others saw a Learner as someone who just had to be passed as soon as possible, 'otherwise they'll get in my way...'

This sort of person passes you
- regardless of whether it's safe or sensible, they have to get past
- even if they're travelling at the same speed as you or even slightly faster, so they accellerate past you and then slow down in front of you and get in your way
- even if they actually want to turn left in 50yds, so they'll pass you and immediately brake and turn-off
- even if you're coming up to a red traffic light, they'll pass you and then immediately brake in front of you
- even if there's a sleeping policemen in the road ahead, so they'll accellerate past and then brake hard in front of you

andygates

Pete said:
Of course, if someone's determined to break the law and drive dangerously, the only solution is enforcement.

...which doesn't happen until after there have been crashes, and even then, is a pretty pathetic effort. :biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Magnatom was looking for road safety slogans a while back, having read this thread maybe it should be "the Highway Code is for life not just you driving test..."

Cab

Interesting discussion guys.

I think that one problem here is that few motorists have a good idea what 10mph looks like, evenif they do understand that they're not meant to overtake there. Couple that not understanding that 'need to overtake' and 'want to overtake' are very different things and you end up with all too many motorists breaking the law at these sections, endangering themselves and others in so doing.

Its going to sound repetetive, but I do find that the only way forward if there is a solid white line in the road is primary position.

Top Bottom