No respect or consideration for pedestrian crossings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cd365

Guru
But someone walking near a zebra crossing is not waiting to cross, they are walking, near it, to it, whatever, but they are not waiting.
My point is that the highway code states that you should look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and slow down or stop to let them cross. In a perfect world every car driver would see someone near a zebra crossing and slow down in case they want to cross, but it does not happen, there is no legal requirement for it to happen so the majority of car drivers pay no heed to someone walking near a zebra crossing, only if they are actually waiting or crossing.
Posters on here saying how it should be does not make it happen, in all honesty I wish it did.
There are probably few people on here who haven't been nearly hit on a zebra crossing, I know I have.

PK99

Legendary Member
That bit you quoted

"look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross"

In the video there is no one waiting to cross, there is someone walking along the pavement.,

cd365

Guru
You can think of it how you want but the majority of people will see walking and waiting as two different things. The highway code is specific in the use of the term waiting.

cd365

Guru
[QUOTE 3611250, member: 45"]You pretending that this is all about what other people do (but you don't) doesn't wash. You know exactly what people are saying so I don't know why you're still going on.[/QUOTE]

Wow, another person who makes up rubbish about how I drive. Well done :bravo:

[QUOTE 3611256, member: 45"]Remind me when you're out next driving and get to a zebra crossing. I'll lie down on it in front of you, and you're legally obliged to wait for me to move before you can proceed. I don't have to do that, but the HC doesn't say I don't have to not do that.[/QUOTE]

Wow, how grown up do you sound.

PK99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3611256, member: 45"]Remind me when you're out next driving and get to a zebra crossing. I'll lie down on it in front of you, and you're legally obliged to wait for me to move before you can proceed. I don't have to do that, but the HC doesn't say I don't have to not do that.[/QUOTE]

Actually you would be breaking the law, as the HWC makes clear by a MUST

At all crossings. When using any type of crossing you should

• always check that the traffic has stopped before you start to cross or push a pram onto a crossing
  • always cross between the studs or over the zebra markings. Do not cross at the side of the crossing or on the zig-zag lines, as it can be dangerous.
You MUST NOT loiter on any type of crossing.
Laws ZPPPCRGD reg 19 & RTRA sect 25(5)

PK99

Legendary Member
Between the pedestrian having to wait for the traffic to stop before using the crossing

and the driver being under no obligation to stop unless the pedestrian is on the crossing

It is clear that quoting the rules is not going to help anything.

one foot on the crossing is sufficent.

potsy

Rambler
Or an opportunity for grown ups to interact with respect and consideration? Who knows it might work.
Are you including the average wvm in the term 'grownups'? :whistle:

My take on it is this, van driver doing a typical mgif manoeuvre so is totally focussed on that and not the possibility of the lady wanting to use the zebra crossing.
It is the main reason I choose any other type of way to cross the road than those, a red light is unambiguous (to most) but the fuzziness of the rules regarding zebra crossings makes them dangerous, at least imo.

PK99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3611343, member: 45"]How slow is a loiter?[/QUOTE]

You said:
"I'll lie down on it in front of you"

potsy

Rambler
I am trying to remind people that we should be looking for a reasonable standard of behaviour from each other and that considering poor behaviour as "living in the real world" is nothing to be proud of.
Of course you are correct, but I liken it to choosing to ride the long way round to avoid certain junctions/RABS etc.

Sometimes you have to do what makes you feel safest, not the thing which is perfectly correct but can lead to other people making you less safe.

PK99

Legendary Member
Which is all fair enough but it is always worth remembering the standard we want. If we only work to the lowest common denominator, that becomes the top end standard soon enough.

I don't want to interfere with free flow of traffic simply by walking along a pavement which happens to be adjacent a Zebra crossing

400bhp

Guru
Are you including the average wvm in the term 'grownups'? :whistle:

My take on it is this, van driver doing a typical mgif manoeuvre so is totally focussed on that and not the possibility of the lady wanting to use the zebra crossing.
It is the main reason I choose any other type of way to cross the road than those, a red light is unambiguous (to most) but the fuzziness of the rules regarding zebra crossings makes them dangerous, at least imo.

Yeahhbut what about the minutia of the Highway Code and blah blah blah:rolleyes:

Dan B

Disengaged member
The law states that you must give way to pedestrians on the crossing. If you're going so fast you can't stop in time when a pedestrian steps onto the crossing, you are surely about to break the law. It therefore follows that if you see a pedestrian near the crossing who might be about to step into it, you should adjust your speed because you might have to stop. Otherwise you may end up breaking the law.

This has sod all to do with whether they're waiting or walking or doing a potty dance: if they are in a position to be on the crossing before you get to it, you must be in a position to give way to them

Top Bottom