No respect or consideration for pedestrian crossings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cd365

Guru
Are you really saying that you cannot judge with a high degree of reliability whether or not a pedestrian walking towards a crossing is going to use it in a timescale that would intersect with your using it?
I am not talking about MY driving. I am talking about driving that I witness day in, day out. It is down to the person waiting to use a crossing to make sure that it is safe for them to cross before attempting to do so. Whether that is right or wrong, I would be looking after my safety first when trying to cross a road.

cd365

Guru
I think you are not a very good driver.
You don't know me but very good of you to judge my driving without witnessing it. As I've said, this is not about my driving but what I witness every day. I agree with @summerdays if they are veering towards it or look like they are going to use it then I will stop. But that is me, what I WITNESS is completely different. I have been the cyclist, like in the OPs video who has stopped at a zebra crossing and had cars go past me.

PK99

Legendary Member
But the ped wasn't waiting to cross, she was walking towards it, as soon as she got to it she started to cross.

Pedant mode on:

actually from the driver's perspective, she was walking along the pavement close to a zebra crossing

Dan B

Disengaged member
Are you really saying that you cannot judge with a high degree of reliability whether or not a pedestrian walking towards a crossing is going to use it in a timescale that would intersect with your using it?
And if so, how the hell do you cope with T junctions?

Origamist

Legendary Member
Who could possibly foresee her desire to cross? Only Nostradamus? The witches in Macbeth?

grab.png

It's poor driving. Next vid, please.

cd365

Guru
[QUOTE 3610734, member: 45"]I can't put it any simpler. I'll not repeat myself other than to say again that with your attitude you'd fail a theory test, but will add that the law is rigid. Driver behaviour and attitudes aren't. Excusing poor driver behaviour is not going to change the changeable.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE 3610742, member: 45"]Here I am going to repeat myself. Until you're sure they're not intending to cross, you act as if they are.

Obviously if they're ten metres away and you're the crossing you'll carry on, as you're not going to impede their progress. But that's just you being silly.[/QUOTE]

I'm not excusing poor driving, I'm saying that the law states one thing, so most drivers will do that. You only have to give way when they are on the crossing. You don't have to slow down if they are near, so you keep saying this is what should happen will not change the fact that I don't see it happening. Is this right? No, but this is what I witness every day of the week. For me the only real solution would be change Zebra crossings to Pelican crossings, take away any ambiguity.

My attitude? I know it is a hazard and have said it is a hazard so why would I fail?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
For me the only real solution would be change Zebra crossings to Pelican crossings, take away any ambiguity.
No way. Pelican crossings put pedestrians having to wait to be allowed to cross the road when road engineers are under pressure to keep traffic moving. At least with a zebra crossing the pedestrian has the right to step out and expect to be able to cross fairly immediately. Besides you are implying that those car drivers who don't stop for pedestrian crossings are going to change their attitude and stop at red lights!!!!:eek:

cd365

Guru
I'd like to think they would. A Red Light is a Must stop (I know they often get run) where a pedestrian crossing is you Must give way only when they are on it.

cd365

Guru
It is not the only solution and Pelican crossings are an awful solution that serve neither party well.
We could extend the limits of the crossing onto the pavement a meter in, and out to the sides, so any pedestrian in that area also has precedence.
We could alter the wording of the law to extend the period for which the pedestrian has precedence to encompass any instance where they will be on the crossing when a vehicle passes.
I had thought about extending the limits of where there is precedence for the pedestrian, but it would be ignored in my opinion unless it was some sort of fenced off area so if they were in there the car driver would know that they intended to cross, otherwise it would go back to my point about most car drivers seeing someone walking next to this area as not wanting to cross but just walking past it so not slowing down or stopping. I have witnessed people standing next to a zebra crossing, have stopped and been waved on, they had just happened to stop there for a chat!

Any pedestrian seen in the vicinity of a crossing should be assumed to be about to use it, same as a vehicle coming from a side road should be assumed to pull out into your path at any moment (or backing out like the car in the video).
It's in the same sense as assuming there's a 44 ton artic around every blind behind. If you're wrong then no-one dies either.

All the van driver thought was "just another farking bike".He was probably too busy updating facebook to notice the bigger picture.

I had thought about extending the limits of where there is precedence for the pedestrian, but it would be ignored in my opinion unless it was some sort of fenced off area so if they were in there the car driver would know that they intended to cross, otherwise it would go back to my point about most car drivers seeing someone walking next to this area as not wanting to cross but just walking past it so not slowing down or stopping. I have witnessed people standing next to a zebra crossing, have stopped and been waved on, they had just happened to stop there for a chat!
As has been pointed out many times. The drivers don't need to KNOW the pedestrian is going to cross but you slow, cover brakes and get ready in case they do. To only come to a stop when you are certain they are going to cross is arrogant and dangerous.

cd365

Guru
As has been pointed out many times. The drivers don't need to KNOW the pedestrian is going to cross but you slow, cover brakes and get ready in case they do. To only come to a stop when you are certain they are going to cross is arrogant and dangerous.
Where does the highway code state that car drivers have to do that?

Top Bottom