No respect or consideration for pedestrian crossings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cd365

Guru
S
The lady didn't wait to see the road was clear.
The van driver could not know she was going to cross the crossing. Up to a second or two before she stepped on to the crossing she was a person walking along the pavement.
I agree with this. You don't have to slow down if all you see is someone walking towards a pedestrian crossing, only when you can see them waiting to cross.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I agree with this. You don't have to slow down if all you see is someone walking towards a pedestrian crossing
You don't have to slow down when approaching a give way sign or red traffic signal either, in law. Unless your vehicle can stop instantly from 30mph, though, it's probably a good idea to.

cd365

Guru
[QUOTE 3608885, member: 45"]You're not legally obliged to speak to your wife, but you do.

This isn't about upholding our rights and only doing things that the thought of a fine make us do, it's about cooperation and preferring the most vulnerable.

Considering the amount of control that road vehicles have over pedestrians, the least we can do is make sure that we put them first.

Or you can continue demanding that pedestrians have your permission before crossing to the other side of the road.[/QUOTE]
If a ped is at a crossing I will stop happily 100% of the time, if a ped is walking near a crossing my powers of guesswork that they might want to use that crossing is not very good.
As a ped I will walk up to a crossing and stop, wait for the traffic to have seen me and come to a stop. This is just common sense on my part, the ped in the video displayed none

You don't have to slow down when approaching a give way sign or red traffic signal either, in law. Unless your vehicle can stop instantly from 30mph, though, it's probably a good idea to.
You have to stop in your example, you don't have to stop when a ped is walking near a crossing.

cd365

Guru
I don't understand how this is such a difficult concept to grasp.
I have been driving for 26 years, I do not see people slow down because a ped is walking near a zebra crossing.
I forget that in CC there a few people who live in this fake made-up world where they are perfect, can second guess what people are going to do plus other perfect stuff. There is so much rubbish written about what people think should happen when in reality there is no requirement for it to happen so it doesn't, but you live in your little bubble, me I live in the real world.

I don't understand how this is such a difficult concept to grasp.
Just like I slow down when kids are around as they have a habit of doing something crazy. I do this on the bike and in the car. It's about being considerate.

When driving you should be aware of those around you. You cannot predict the unpredictable but you can anticipate increased chances from things like....PEOPLE APPROACHING ZEBRA CROSSINGS

I have been driving for 26 years, I do not see people slow down because a ped is walking near a zebra crossing..
I do (as in I see it).

cd365

Guru
[QUOTE 3609256, member: 45"]You don't have to stop at a Give Way sign.[/QUOTE]
No, you don't but where a Give Way sign is used, a difficult to see junction, on a bend etc., you would be damn stupid not to stop or be going incredibly slowly!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have been driving for 26 years, I do not see people slow down because a ped is walking near a zebra crossing.
Mr Summerdays is always slowing down near zebra crossings, especially the one nearby where you can't see very well whether someone is waiting to cross. I think I'm better at working out which ones are likely to cross than he is (but I would say that!).

Not just slow down. Cover brake, look out for people who might cross and avoid doing stupid things like overtaking a cyclist.

Dan B

Disengaged member
[QUOTE 3609256, member: 45"]You don't have to stop at a Give Way sign.[/QUOTE]
Nor at a traffic light if it turns green by the time you arrive. You'd be pretty stupid not to slow down in case it doesn't, though

Top Bottom