No respect or consideration for pedestrian crossings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simontm

Veteran
Jumping in without a care for my safety-
  • look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross
Don't think the van did that at all

Cyclists jump red lights, pedestrians cross outwith the greenman...why should a driver be concerned with a zebra crossing which has neither!? It's essentially just street decoration which gives pedestrians a false sense of security...

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I also have children. I teach them to watch out for twats like the van driver who should have anticipated the woman crossing the road. I teach them that twats exist all over the world and that you shouldn't expect van drivers to pay attention and to do dangerous stupid things. Even on cycling forums you will find people saying that they couldn't possibly be expected to notice people walking to a crossing with the likelihood of stepping out.

Either the cyclist is magical in reading the future of the van driver is a twat who either wasn't paying attention or more likely didn't care.

Me too, (well, child) I got told off for kicking the back of the car that decided to come across the zebra we were using by them when they were a lot younger (don't worry, I'd made sure we weren't going to get run over, it was on the other half of the zebra).

I have had a school crossing patrol woman wave her wand thing in front of me when I was maybe three bike lengths from her. I just managed to stop and unclip without falling in a heap but it was all very inelegant and I got harangued by a nobber pedestrian for it. Physics, damn it I say.

400bhp

Guru
Just a a typical goldfish driver who cannot anticipate the queue ahead and isn't reading the road ( concentrating on getting part the op and not observing hazards).

Just take satisfaction when you sail past him towards the junction.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Learnt something new, but if benb had stopped wasn't it still illegal?

Dan B

Disengaged member
Learnt something new, but if benb had stopped wasn't it still illegal?
I'm on a phone and can't check, but I believe the wording says (1) you should not overtake a motor vehicle on the zigzags if it's the one closest to the crossing, and (2) you should not overtake a vehicle that has stopped to let people cross. Note the absence of the word "motor" in that second case.

I don't know if they meant it to be that way or if they just can't draft for toffee.

PK99

Legendary Member
I'm on a phone and can't check, but I believe the wording says (1) you should not overtake a motor vehicle on the zigzags if it's the one closest to the crossing, and (2) you should not overtake a vehicle that has stopped to let people cross. Note the absence of the word "motor" in that second case.

I don't know if they meant it to be that way or if they just can't draft for toffee.

your memory is correct.

Simontm

Veteran
your memory is correct.

It's moving vehicle so interpretation...

You MUST NOT park on a crossing or in the area covered by the zig-zag lines. YouMUST NOT overtake the moving vehicle nearest the crossing or the vehicle nearest the crossing which has stopped to give way to pedestrians.
Laws ZPPPCRGD regs 18, 20 & 24, RTRA sect 25(5) & TSRGD regs 10, 27 & 28

Top Bottom