No respect or consideration for pedestrian crossings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
So, what about this tit then?

(awaiting comments about how it was all my fault somehow! :tongue:)

Drago

Legendary Member
A nob disrespecting a pedestrian crossing. Never seen that before.

I look forward to videos of surprise and indignation at the sun rising in the morning, or church bells ringing on a Sunday.

Simontm

Veteran
Happens practically everyday there, just for them to join the queue up at the roundabout. You were lucky not to get the drop-offers that charge out of the pub car park.
Were you turning left up there? I usually turn left just passed the pub and run right through the ponds.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Happens practically everyday there, just for them to join the queue up at the roundabout. You were lucky not to get the drop-offers that charge out of the pub car park.
Were you turning left up there? I usually turn left just passed the pub and run right through the ponds.

No, I went right at the roundabout, then down Banstead Road

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'll weigh in my tu'pence worth here.

The lady didn't wait to see the road was clear.
The van driver could not know she was going to cross the crossing. Up to a second or two before she stepped on to the crossing she was a person walking along the pavement.
The van driver should not have overtaken you at the crossing, but most drivers fail to register cyclists as other vehicles on the road so simply do not realise they are 'overtaking' (wrong but true :rolleyes:).
Way to go shouting out crude expletives in front of the lady at the crossing!

In the big scheme of things, another pointless video of a non-event.

The van driver could not know she was going to cross the crossing. Up to a second or two before she stepped on to the crossing she was a person walking along the pavement.
The van driver should not have overtaken you at the crossing, but most drivers fail to register cyclists as other vehicles on the road so simply do not realise they are 'overtaking' (wrong but true :rolleyes:).

BS
It was obvious that lady was going to cross, well before the van decided to overtake. The lady did look it was clear, hence she stopped.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
BS
It was obvious that lady was going to cross, well before the van decided to overtake. The lady did look it was clear, hence she stopped.
I watched the video several times before making that statement and if you count the seconds out you will realise that it happens so quickly that it from her starting to turn toward the crossing to the point that the van appears in view is only between 2-3 seconds.
Ok, the OP showed excellent anticipation of what might happen and in this case guessed rightly that the lady might cross. Equally, she may have continued to walk right past the crossing. A pedestrian crossing does not give the right to just walk out into the road unexpectedly.
Your claim that it was obvious she was going to cross suggests maybe you were watching a different incident or had an alternative POV to the one offered by the camera?

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist

How come I knew she was going to cross, and stopped for her then?
Her foot was on the road when he blasted through the crossing, so he was completely unambiguously in the wrong there.

If it's such a pointless non-event, why are you bothering to comment?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
How come I knew she was going to cross, and stopped for her then?
the OP showed excellent anticipation of what might happen and in this case guessed rightly that the lady might cross. Equally, she may have continued to walk right past
If it's such a pointless non-event, why are you bothering to comment?
Because you asked us to and I have some time to kill?

Besides, we are getting side tracked here. I thought the point of your original post was to highlight, quite correctly, that the van overtook you at a crossing where the presence of zigzag lines mean it is a prohibited manoeuvre?

I watched the video several times before making that statement and if you count the seconds out you will realise that it happens so quickly that it from her starting to turn toward the crossing to the point that the van appears in view is only between 2-3 seconds.
Ok, the OP showed excellent anticipation of what might happen and in this case guessed rightly that the lady might cross. Equally, she may have continued to walk right past the crossing. A pedestrian crossing does not give the right to just walk out into the road unexpectedly.
Your claim that it was obvious she was going to cross suggests maybe you were watching a different incident or had an alternative POV to the one offered by the camera?
I estimate the was about 3 seconds between the lady being obvious she was to cross and the van going over the crossing. Based on the speed of the van (looked sub 30mph to me), it looked enough time for the driver to stop. The driver could have stopped but didn't.

Yes I saw the same clip as you. To assume everyone will daaw the same comparison by simply watching the same clip shows an arrogance.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Because you asked us to and I have some time to kill?

Besides, we are getting side tracked here. I thought the point of your original post was to highlight, quite correctly, that the van overtook you at a crossing where the presence of zigzag lines mean it is a prohibited manoeuvre?
Not prohibited unless benb had stopped, assuming that the Zebra, Pelican and Puffin Pedestrian Crossings Regulations and General Directions 1997 is still the relevant legislation.

Top Bottom