No rider weight limit on a full carbon frame..possible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

The orbea onix full carbon apparently has no maximum rider weight limit and a full lifetime warranty to back that up according to the dealer...erm...sounds to good to be true...surely a carbon frame will collapse at some point...I mean even a steel frame will wont it?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Not if its designed not to. I would be happy riding Carbon if the manufacturer said it was strong enough.

Chris James

Über Member
Bigtallfatbloke said:
The orbea onix full carbon apparently has no maximum rider weight limit and a full lifetime warranty to back that up according to the dealer...erm...sounds to good to be true...surely a carbon frame will collapse at some point...I mean even a steel frame will wont it?

I wouldn't expect any frame to collapse under the weight of a rider. Under the weight of a car maybe!

Landslide

Rare Migrant
All bikes, regardless of frame material, are designed as a compromise between strength and weight. In this instance it would appear that Orbea have erred on the side of strength, and as such are happy to offer the warranty.

dodgy

I'd have thought other components would go before the frame. You can build up a frame really strong, same with wheels, but a wheel that isn't built optimally will likely fail before a frame would.

Dave.

Top Bottom