No room on the train - risk it or get up even earlier ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
A bit of a dilemma for tomorrow's commute. Being a good boy I always book a place for my bike on the train, as requested by East Midlands Trains. From experience I am in the minority so often there are usually more than the regulation 2 bikes in bike storage area.

Having tried to book for tomorrow morning I have been told there is no space on my usual train, which is unheard of but I guess could be correct, There is space on the train that leaves 15 mins earlier. So my dilemma - do I take a chance and try and squeeze my bike on the usual train or get up even earlier - probably around 5.15am and get the earlier train ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Get the earlier one. Otherwise presumably if you find no space, you’d need to lock bike at station, thereby missing the usual one

All assuming you don’t have a Brompton

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
I'd get up earlier and go for the train you know has free space for your bike. Getting up at 5:15 isn't so bad this time of the year - but ask me the same question in February and I might be siding with YukonBoy....

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for confirming that I should go for the sensible option. As the bike is not a folder I do need the proper cycle space so I will need to drag my sorry self out of bed earlier, or skip breakfast and treat myself at work. Its only a 11 mile ride to the station so I don't really need to fuel up before setting off.
Have a full English when you get to London

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Or take the day off and go and impulse buy a Brompton*

* Other folders are available but Brompton owners will sneer at you if you so much as consider it.
But not if you buy a Birdy, you will only get looks of envy.

images.jpeg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks for confirming that I should go for the sensible option. As the bike is not a folder I do need the proper cycle space so I will need to drag my sorry self out of bed earlier, or skip breakfast and treat myself at work. Its only a 11 mile ride to the station so I don't really need to fuel up before setting off.

That would be my choice every time

OP
OP
rugby bloke

rugby bloke

Veteran
Or take the day off and go and impulse buy a Brompton*

* Other folders are available but Brompton owners will sneer at you if you so much as consider it.
Much as I am impressed by the engineering design of a Brompton and I can see the appeal of the convenience that a folding bike offers ... I cannot get over the feeling that you look like a clown who has lost his circus when you are riding one .... Going to go an hide now.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member

Do they not serve breakfast at your seat on the train any more?

Top Bottom