No thread on my inner Tube valve?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MBosh

Hi
I've just replaced an inner tube on my road Bike, but I noticed there is no thread on the valve going down to the wheel like on the inner tube I took out. This means I can't use the little nut that I usually put on to fasten it to the wheel. Is this normal or have I done something wrong? What I mean is this some type of new inner tube I haven't come across before or is it meant to have a thread instead of smooth metal.

Ahh, functionally not having the nut will make next to no difference except allow a little play near the valve. The shiny none threaded ones are designed for deep section wheels but an inner tube is an inner tube

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've used both types and never noticed a difference. The smooth ones save you having to remember to screw on the nut when you're on a rainy, dark and cold roadside after fixing a puncture.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I prefer threaded because it's easier to attach a pump, particularly when the tube is flat.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I prefer threaded because it's easier to attach a pump, particularly when the tube is flat.

Another reason to use the threaded ones and fit the locknuts is if you get a flat the tube won't move round inside the tyre. If you have a plain unrestrained valve stem the tube can move and the stem ends up sticking out at an angle. I've lost count of the number of old wheels I've encountered with displaced tubes.

Reactions: C R

weareHKR

I prefer threadless, saves damage to the rubber grommet in the pump attachment.
To fit the pump head, I simply pull the valve down with my right hand & push down on top of the tire with my left to hold it in place while I push the pump head on to it... Simples, no wonky valves in our house... ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom