No TV licence - anyone else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
I don't understand why the BBC feel the need to send threatening scare tactic letters and the Capita pseudo Stasi goons round, it's a subscription service, if you don't want to use it you don't pay, Netflix etc don't threaten you to buy their service, the BBC & the government should call it a day with the licence fee, it's full of ad's for their own stuff any way

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
We stopped about 8 weeks ago.

Reasons: political bias, woke-ness (not discussing those two on this forum) and the output quality. Last year we watched 4 or 5 dramas and Masterchef (Professionals) in total, which was all that appealed to us.

Now just watching Netflix, Amazon Prime & YT. These are more than enough for us.

Last year over 400000 viewers deserted the BBC licence paying cohort. Sign of the times.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Ah, the goons. I presume you know the drill? Don't answer the door, don't tell them your name, don't confirm anything.

I don't pay the paedo tax either, non BBC catch-up and streaming services only, never had a visit but lots of threatening letters.

Since living alone for approaching 7 years I haven't bought a tv license. I only use the BBC now for watching Match Of The Day on i player, on my laptop. I refuse to pay towards such as Hew Edwards 500 grand a year never ending sick pay and Andrew 'Freddie' Flintoff's 7 million quid payout for a few cuts and bruises. 🧐

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Since living alone for approaching 7 years I haven't bought a tv license. I only use the BBC now for watching Match Of The Day on i player, on my laptop. I refuse to pay towards such as Hew Edwards 500 grand a year never ending sick pay and Andrew 'Freddie' Flintoff's 7 million quid payout for a few cuts and bruises. 🧐

The difference there Accy is they're frightened to knock on your door. You're known to them as the man that punches out XL bullies.

DRM

Guru

Don't say that, no licence no iplayer, delete asap

BigSid

Guru
I haven't had a licence since 1991. I've had three visits but only one whilst I was at home. I didn't let him in but he had to be told six or seven times to go away. I had a letter every month until Covid when they stopped but they started sending them again last December. They also have a lack of proofreading. Terrible grammar and punctuation.

Alex321

Veteran

You really shouldn't admit to breaking the law on a public forum.

If you use iplayer, you need a licence according to the law (since 2016).

Communications Act 2003, Section 363, as interpreted by section 368.

363Licence required for use of TV receiver​

(1)A television receiver must not be installed or used unless the installation and use of the receiver is authorised by a licence under this Part.

(2)A person who installs or uses a television receiver in contravention of subsection (1) is guilty of an offence.

368Meanings of “television receiver” and “use”​

(1)In this Part “television receiver” means any apparatus of a description specified in regulations made by the Secretary of State setting out the descriptions of apparatus that are to be television receivers for the purposes of this Part.

(2)Regulations under this section defining a television receiver may provide for references to such a receiver to include references to software used in association with apparatus.

[F9(3)References in this Part to using a television receiver are references to using it for—

(a)receiving all or any part of any television programme, or

(b)receiving all or any part of a programme included in an on-demand programme service which is provided by the BBC,

and that reference to the provision of an on-demand programme service by the BBC is to be read in accordance with section 368R(5) and (6).]

Mike_P

Guru
You really shouldn't admit to breaking the law on a public forum.

If you use iplayer, you need a licence according to the law (since 2016).

Communications Act 2003, Section 363, as interpreted by section 368.

363Licence required for use of TV receiver​

(1)A television receiver must not be installed or used unless the installation and use of the receiver is authorised by a licence under this Part.

(2)A person who installs or uses a television receiver in contravention of subsection (1) is guilty of an offence.

368Meanings of “television receiver” and “use”​

(1)In this Part “television receiver” means any apparatus of a description specified in regulations made by the Secretary of State setting out the descriptions of apparatus that are to be television receivers for the purposes of this Part.

(2)Regulations under this section defining a television receiver may provide for references to such a receiver to include references to software used in association with apparatus.

[F9(3)References in this Part to using a television receiver are references to using it for—

(a)receiving all or any part of any television programme, or

(b)receiving all or any part of a programme included in an on-demand programme service which is provided by the BBC,

and that reference to the provision of an on-demand programme service by the BBC is to be read in accordance with section 368R(5) and (6).]

And @Accy cyclist has made various postings referring to BBC radio which needs still a licence if not the TV one. Re Netflix etc you needs a subscription to login. The BBC TV services are on free to air transmissions so they have to have some way of enforcing payment. Obvious solution would to make them no longer FTA and require a login.

Top Bottom