No TV licence - anyone else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
See these slipping standards and impartiality issues that folk seem to have with the BBC? When did they start then? Because as far as I can tell, it's programming and news has had it's fair amount of sh!te and criticism since it began; yet today is probably greater in scope than any other broadcaster in the world.

Want to watch celebrities doing ballroom dancing? Two old fellas talk about life while they fish? Sitcom about a fictional pirate radio station? An inexplicably grim soap opera about London? People hoping a chipped vase they found in a dead relatives attic might be priceless? Major sporting events? Reasonably impartial news, provided it's not your only source?

These bases and more are covered.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
So much like the BBC then.

Can you actually show me any evidence of wide spread impartiality?
Perception of impartiality is rife on both the left and right wing, which suggests they are doing something right.

AndyRM

XOXO
Perception of impartiality is rife on both the left and right wing, which suggests they are doing something right.

Without (hopefully) straying too much into NCAP territory, there isn't any. Our media landscape is so utterly polarised these days that it's a miracle the BBC manages to stay as impartial as it does. Accusations of bias come from all angles to the point where if I was the Director General I'd say,

"You know what? I've had enough. Turn it all off folks, we'll stream a blend of FOX, Russia Today and Al Jazeera, interspersed with reruns of The Good Life and Dad's Army. End programming promptly at 10pm with a peaceful rendition of God Save the King to soothe the citizens off to bed."

Paulus

Started young, and still going.

I agree, whatever the make up of the government the BBC has to be shown to hold them to account and question their policies.
Of course, whilst doing this the then incumbent government will say the beeb is biased.
If the beeb dies get shut down for whatever reason, and remember, Boris appointed Tory doners to its board to change it's political stance, we'll end up with more really partial stations such as GB News, funded and hosted by the present government ministers and cronies.

AndyRM

XOXO
The BBC now seems to flip between pandering to one side or another so it looks biased to both ends of the spectrum.

Surely though, that's the definition of impartiality? It's not pandering, it's just presenting both sides of a (generally) political point.

EG - The Government has said this. Here is the opposition's response, and here's what the smaller parties had to say.

Then here's some analysts to give their thoughts.

Question Time is a pretty good example of impartiality and representation

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Surely though, that's the definition of impartiality? It's not pandering, it's just presenting both sides of a (generally) political point.

EG - The Government has said this. Here is the opposition's response, and here's what the smaller parties had to say.

Then here's some analysts to give their thoughts.

Question Time is a pretty good example of impartiality and representation

That's how they used to be.

i toyed with no license for 1 year. got the full works from goon visits to a dozen threatening letters.
decided to start paying again as i do enjoy some BBC content
i would still like it to be an optional service though, maybe some day

AndyRM

XOXO
That's how they used to be.

What does that mean though? How did the BBC "used to be"? Because it's often been asked or brought up and nobody seems to be able to give an actual answer.

What more are they meant to do than try and be as representative as possible? I don't see that they're pushing any sort of agenda, "woke" or otherwise.

Drago

Legendary Member
See these slipping standards and impartiality issues that folk seem to have with the BBC? When did they start then? Because as far as I can tell, it's programming and news has had it's fair amount of sh!te and criticism since it began; yet today is probably greater in scope than any other broadcaster in the world.

I was previously a fan of the Beeb, even as the standard and amount t of new drama started to slide.

I was a particular fan of Radio 4, would listen to it every moment I could. Me and another sergeant were archers fans so woukd even switch on wt work when we could.

However, after a certain referendum in 2016 it was clear the luvvies weren't happy with the result. Constant sniping, comments about the IQ of those that voted in a manner they didn't like, on and on and on. In a current affairs programme, fine, but I expect the news to be impartial, and drama and even comedy not to be used for constant political grandstanding. I want to be informed, not indoctrinated, and even then only on programming that is appropriate for that purpose. That's when I binned off BBC radio, and in 2019 binned off the TV and the licence.

If I want politics - which I don't, I really couldn't care less- I want it in its place, a place where I can decide and choose to avail myself of it, not snidey comments from luvvie comedians who think they're oh so right-on.

Doesn't matter, dont care, not interested, I don't want any of it, so I stopped paying the so called "paedo tax."

It's now planet rock in the wireless, and corrie on catch up. I watch box sets and films, but really I'm a wireless man at home and on any given evening Mrs D and I will have the radio on and be sat reading. I can now steer totally clear of the P word, and only have bias and lies crammed down my throat when I choose to, which is never.

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
I was previously a fan of the Beeb, even as the standard and amount t of new drama started to slide.

I was a particular fan of Radio 4, would listen to it every moment I could. Me and another sergeant were archers fans so woukd even switch on wt work when we could.

However, after a certain referendum in 2016 it was clear the luvvies weren't happy with the result. Constant sniping, comments about the IQ of those that voted in a manner they didn't like, on and on and on. In a current affairs programme, fine, but I expect the news to be impartial, and drama and even comedy not to be used for constant political grandstanding. I want to be informed, not indoctrinated, and even then only on programming that is appropriate for that purpose. That's when I binned off BBC radio, and in 2019 binned off the TV and the licence.

If I want politics - which I don't, I really couldn't care less- I want it in its place, a place where I can decide and choose to avail myself of it, not snidey comments from luvvie comedians who think they're oh so right-on.

Doesn't matter, dont care, not interested, I don't want any of it, so I stopped paying the so called "paedo tax."

It's now planet rock in the wireless, and corrie on catch up. I watch box sets and films, but really I'm a wireless man at home and on any given evening Mrs D and I will have the radio on and be sat reading. I can now steer totally clear of the P word, and only have bias and lies crammed down my throat when I choose to, which is never.

Which is all fair enough, but those are your own reasons for no longer consuming BBC content, not really evidence of slipping standards or impartiality.

FWIW, I reckon most drama and comedy has made political points in one way or another: The Archers started off as a thinly disguised bit of propaganda.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
We don't have an aerial plugged in on either of our TVs. We do watch iPlayer though so we pay the license fee. I'm assuming that if one had a firestick/smart TV, you'd have to uninstall all BBC apps to legitimately not pay the license fee? And would they/could they check your phone to see if you had a BBC app installed on there?

We are culling our other TV subscriptions like Paramount and Disney+. AT £5.99/month each (I think) it is an expensive thing to have sat there in the background when we don't really watch them
they'd probably need a warrant just like they do in order to enter your home

FishFright

More wheels than sense
What does that mean though? How did the BBC "used to be"? Because it's often been asked or brought up and nobody seems to be able to give an actual answer.

What more are they meant to do than try and be as representative as possible? I don't see that they're pushing any sort of agenda, "woke" or otherwise.

My reasoning would be full on NACA territory so I'll leave it here

Top Bottom