No TV licence - anyone else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Then of course we have yon Gary Lineker, who uses his high position to spout his politics. Another reason to not pay their enforced license. 🧐 I have quite a few of those 'to the occupier' letters. They make me laugh as they as such as 'Will you be in on the 26th of March', meaning if you will be they'll pay you a visit. Mmm, that's like the police asking a drug dealer if he'll be in on a certain day, so if he will be they'll come and raid his house!!:rolleyes:

potsy

Rambler
I have a TV, watch mainly Netflix & YouTube so decided not to renew the license this time.
My threatening letters have started now :rolleyes:

Quite happy to let them come visit, won't be letting them in.

According the blackbelt barrister, live broadcasts on YouTube, which are becoming quite common, also fall under TV licensing

Straight from the horses mouth: https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

"Live TV on streaming services, like YouTube"

YouTube needs better clarification for the different types of content. A sports event being shown live is different to someone live streaming their DJ set. I'll try to find a couple of examples of what I mean.

I actually watched this, I can't remember if a licence was required for youtube 3 years ago:

View: https://www.youtube.com/live/aynu0cdJK9w?feature=shared

This was a MTB event in New Zealand, looks like an actual TV show.

View: https://www.youtube.com/live/H0j83YnwsfM?feature=shared

So two very different Live streams, and currently both require a TV Licence despite both of them being made in a foreign country by people not receiving any money from TV licencing!

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Why do you think the Beeb no longer plays the NA at the end of the evening's broadcasting?

Because they hate Britain and all it stands for?

No, t'was because when the programming went 24hr there was no closedown to mark with an NA. Havingn said that, BBC3 closes down and they don't play it there, so maybe my tongue-in-cheek explanation was correct?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Because they hate Britain and all it stands for?

No, t'was because when the programming went 24hr there was no closedown to mark with an NA. Havingn said that, BBC3 closes down and they don't play it there, so maybe my tongue-in-cheek explanation was correct?

The question was aimed specifically at Rusty Nails.

R4 still plays the NA at closedown each night, so the tongue-in-cheek explanation doesn't hold water :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
R4 still plays the NA at closedown each night, so the tongue-in-cheek explanation doesn't hold water :smile:
You can bet each playing of it makes them shudder.

presta

Guru
Radio reception has not needed a license for many years now. Not sure whether only since the 2003 Act, or whether it was before that.
When my father got his first car in 1965, he took the radio out of it because it wasn't covered on the TV licence like the rest of the radios in the house.
It quite easy to understand. terrestrial TV is piped to all houses as an open access service, there is no firewall to stop people, unlike Netflix. So the whole thing is taken on trust.
The only way to tell if you arent watching is to check periodically.
Once you lose free to air public service broadcasting you are at the mercy of private sector media and that is a dangerous road to go down. As standards slip and impartiality is lost.
The point of the BBC is to provide quality broadcasting and minority broadcasting that wouldn't be commercially viable if it were left to the market, like subsidising the Royal Opera House etc, which we don't hear many complaints about.
the quality of the programming seems in a death-spiral, with increasing amounts of dumbed-down, lowest-common-denomenator, mass-culture-pedalling dross.
They're scared they'll lose the licence fee if they don't copy the commercial stations.
The weird thing is how all parties blame the BBC of bias.
Journalists' philosophy is that if you're getting stick from all sides you've got it about right.
We do watch iPlayer
How do you stick the frustration? Catchup TV off the internet has got to be the most infuriating way to watch telly there is. The cue & review functions are as user unfriendly as it's possible to get, and every other time I try to use it I have to go to the laptop, boot it up, and use it to login in.
Again.
And again and again.
After having been told each time that "You'll only have to do this once".

Chief Broom

Veteran
Yep, ive told them a few times i dont have a TV [i dont] :rolleyes: and they still send me the usual 'toothless' threatening letters, must've had a 100 of the ****ers :rolleyes: 'we'll [definitely] be around next week with baseball bats' :laugh:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
It's time the compulsory fee was gone. In this world of digital delivery it would take barely any effort to scramble it and have a pay to watch system for those who wish to watch and the rest of us can live happily without its output.

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
It might take barely any effort at one end but it would mean telly only for those of us who do those digital payments. I do live happily without but think I should have the option. I paid it for 6 months a few years back as a tribute to radio and ignore the threatening letters.

Top Bottom