No wonder bus drivers get annoyed...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CotterPin

Well, the only way we will discover if (a) she is a novice cyclist or (:wacko: slightly loopy. is if 008 ever meets her again and can ask her.

I tend to err on the generous side and presume that she is lacking in skill and strength, rather than being a rather batty person who walks down the middle of the road for the fun of it.

I am also the kind the person who thinks that the operator of the more lethal machinery (and presumably the one with the greater training and experience) should show consideration to the more vulnerable.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Imo the Lady is a danger more to herself than any one else! Remember in the original post she undertook the bus ie on the left not on the right.! She needs to be taught some basic road awareness before she really gets hurt!

Don't forget some cyclists have never even taken a car driving test and this is possibly what could be the cause of her seemingly very odd behaviour?

It's possible some one has told her that it's ok to ride in the bus lane and that's all you have to do in order to be safe.
Granted she will be safer in the Bus lane than on the road but she is still depending on the good will of bus drivers to be patient, and also on other cyclists to be patient by the sound of it!

Next time the original poster ( sorry forgot name) see's this Lady they should try and encourage her a little and give her some well meaning advice rather than enquiring if she is a lunatic?

OP
OP

TBH, and despite my angry faces and stating it as a rant :evil:, this women didn't really annoy me... I'm quite a placid person... live and let live and all that... and also part and parcel of cycling in London ;). Her actions just baffled me more than anything else. Although she definitely annoyed the bus driver and possibly van driver as well which doesn't bode well for other cyclists as I'm sure we'll all get tarred with the same brush.

I did feel a bit sorry for her when she got off and started pushing the bike but that faded a bit when she started walking in the road... btw, the only reason she decided to walk in the road was because if she stayed on the pavement, she would've had to turn left up the side road, due to railings being present, cross over using a pedestrian crossing, then come back on herself to continue her journey on the main road she was already on.

I've got nothing against this cyclist/pedestrian and she was entitled to be where she was. I was just trying to highlight what some cyclists can do to annoy other motorists which can subsequently impact on all other cyclists.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
We're all tarred with the same brush as 'cyclists', no matter what, when, where, or how we ride.:evil:

When I find myself subject to a good 'tarring' a houshold de-greaser works well.;)

OP
OP

Next time the original poster ( sorry forgot name) see's this Lady they should try and encourage her a little and give her some well meaning advice rather than enquiring if she is a lunatic?

I never suggested she was a lunatic... just told it how I saw it. Other posters may have commented about her sanity though.

I'm also not into giving strangers advice or educating them... how many people have done that and got a negative response?? What if she felt threatened if I approached her?? She obviously thought she was doing the right thing... which was fair enough in my case.

Tynan

Veteran
on another slant, a bus annoyed me last night

picture if you will the Broad Lane one way in Tottenham at about 9.45 pm, it's all quick but there's a nasty bit where the left of four lanes is either a fast filter up the New Road to the left or straight on to Ferry Lane past Tottenham Hale station, come too wide and you run the risk of being passed on the left by a car going straight on, not enough (and this a very real danger) cars cut across you at high speed turning left when you;re going ahead

so fast as poss, primary and showing a right arm for some distance ahead, not comfortable and relying on some sense from drivers, but it works

last night a bus pulled past me and moved about five feet past me, indicating left and then stayed there looking at me like I supposed to do something

I managed to speed up even more and get in front of him, gave him an angry look, closely followed by three rounds of him tooting me and me showing a finger

no idea what he thought he was doing, they generally good but far from all

dondare

Über Member
008 said:
I did feel a bit sorry for her when she got off and started pushing the bike but that faded a bit when she started walking in the road... btw, the only reason she decided to walk in the road was because if she stayed on the pavement, she would've had to turn left up the side road, due to railings being present, cross over using a pedestrian crossing, then come back on herself to continue her journey on the main road she was already on.

Explains it. She's just learned to live with other people's irritation. Not loopy at all.

dondare

Über Member
One of those things that it's hard to define but you know it when you see it.
Without having seen it in this case, the description of the woman wheeling her bike in the road in front of traffic made her sound loopy; but the reason then given for her doing so rather than using the pavement was perfectly sound. Pretty damn' inconsiderate, tho', perhaps she was too tired to care, or perhaps she just didn't care.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
User3143 said:
Define loopy.
Jumping Red Lights...

nickb

Guru
Well aren't we all a bunch of holier-than-thou saints? Let's all have a big collective 'Aaah' for bus drivers everywhere.

You know what I think? F U C K 'em! I've yet to come across a bus driver here in Cardiff than doesn't think I shouldn't be cycling in his or her lane and doesn't overtake with just millimetres to spare just to let me know it.

I'm sick and tired of listening to all this 'if we're all nice & considerate to them, they'll treat us fairly' bullshit. It doesn't make a bit of difference.

Do you think the bus drivers get together and chat to each other over their morning cuppa or post to busdriverchinwag.com pleading with each other to be nice to cyclists?

I spent 10 years doing it by the book, thinking 'what goes around, comes around', but it makes no difference. Now I do it my way and treat everyone on the road, from pedestrians to HGVs (including other cyclists), as a threat.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I disagree completely, on my commute the bus drivers are exemplary for the most part. I've taken choco and letters of compliments to 3 different bus garages so far, and have a couple more to do. Sure, there's the odd nob jockey, but most are patient, courteous, and great drivers, far above the average motor vehicle driver.

I'm glad I don't cycle in Cardiff, the buses in Edinburgh are generally OK, especially Lothian. I try to take the attitude that if they are an efficient service, ie unimpeded more people might use them in preference to the car. Lothian behave courteously to me and other cyclists so I'm courteos to them I hope this is the same for everybody. Your right in your defensive cycling though nickb, treating everything as a threat.

dondare

Über Member
nickb said:
Well aren't we all a bunch of holier-than-thou saints? Let's all have a big collective 'Aaah' for bus drivers everywhere.

You know what I think? F U C K 'em! I've yet to come across a bus driver here in Cardiff than doesn't think I shouldn't be cycling in his or her lane and doesn't overtake with just millimetres to spare just to let me know it.

I'm sick and tired of listening to all this 'if we're all nice & considerate to them, they'll treat us fairly' bullshit. It doesn't make a bit of difference.

Do you think the bus drivers get together and chat to each other over their morning cuppa or post to busdriverchinwag.com pleading with each other to be nice to cyclists?

I spent 10 years doing it by the book, thinking 'what goes around, comes around', but it makes no difference. Now I do it my way and treat everyone on the road, from pedestrians to HGVs (including other cyclists), as a threat.

Don't forget that bus drivers not only have to cope with traffic all day, but passengers as well. It's enough to make a Saint lose it occasionally.

nickb said:

;)

Top Bottom