No wonder it wasn't shifting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
IMG_8653.JPG

The hub gears were working but the chain pusher wasn't.

Unfortunately this left me with 1, 3 and 5 which meant I was never in the right gear.

I cleaned it all thoroughly when I was off just before Christmas, and yet after only seven days of riding it looked like this.

And the grunge that came out of the jockey wheels stuck to everything.

Certainly more attention required when most of the moving bits are so much closer to the ground.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There might be a bike under that filth.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
And that reminds me, I need to order a new chain and sprockets.

Should've counted the teeth when I cleaned them at the weekend, as I bet they're caked in shoot again now.

12boy

Guru
Wow...what a mess. No wonder you ran through a rim so fast. Too bad you could not get a 3 speed with a coaster or drum brake or even go with disks. In your case it would probably be an economy after a while.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
I know - after that experience, I'm making a concerted effort to clean the rims and pads every couple of weeks and the chain and sprockets about once a month.

Honestly, the stuff that comes out the jockey wheels is disgusting. It won't come off with degreaser alone. i've developed a technique where I have a small flat-bladed screw driver that I poke in the holes on the sides of the jockey wheel and it forces up this horribly sticky, black gritty paste. then use an old fashioned hard bristled tooth brush to scrape it all out.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Glad to see somone else has the same problem with gunge.I got it mainly about Christmas time this year so I partly blame road gritting plus salt with slush on the road. Never have this problem in dryish weather but this Christmas/New year was foul. Tried a thin blade knife to clean it out but ended up dismantling the guide wheels.

12boy

Guru
Here's an idea that may work...the practice of wax lubrication. The way this goes is you mix regular canning wax with some heavy grease and heat this up in a a dedicated crock pot. You can add molybdenum Drislide or teflon lube if you like. The grease keeps the wax flexible and ensures it adheres to the chain as plain wax will flake off. Soak the chain in the heated liquid for an hour or so, and then pull it out to cool. Your spouse will love you even more if you manage to dribble this on the carpet, of course so you might do that part outside. In the US the wax is called paraffin but I understand paraffin is something else in the UK. As the wax wears off, you can either wash the chain with strong detergent or gas (petrol) and repeat or simply use a dry lube in between waxings. I usually wipe off the obvious grit and stick the chain in the bath as the grit sinks to the bottom of the pot and isn't a big deal. The idea here is the place where lube really matters is inside the chain bushings, and an oily lube when dirty becomes a grinding paste which destroys the chain and gears. The wax just doesn't pick up grit the way an oil does. Once you have a proper mixture in the crock pot lubing the chain merely means you pop the easy link and soak the chain for a while. If I find chains on sale I buy half a dozen or so and wax them without stripping the grease they come with. Then I will fit a new chain when one gets dry and dirty and relube several as the used chains accumulate. Sounds like a hassle but is easy enough once set up.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Glad to see somone else has the same problem with gunge.I got it mainly about Christmas time this year so I partly blame road gritting plus salt with slush on the road. Never have this problem in dryish weather but this Christmas/New year was foul. Tried a thin blade knife to clean it out but ended up dismantling the guide wheels.

Now there's a point, I was looking at the wheels when cleaning and couldn't see an obvious way to remove them for cleaning. How do you do it?

12boy

Guru
Saturate a scotch-brite pad with simple green or dish detergent and the crud will come right off the exteriors of the wheels. The wheels on the tensioner are held in with bolts going through the steel spindle the wheel uses as an shaft/bushing. Take it apart and clean and grease the inside with waterproof grease to keep the wheels turning easily. While the wax method I mentioned does accumulate on cogs, rings and wheels it does not contain grit the way oil does and comes off easily witha soapy rag or scotch brite.

12boy

Guru
One last plug for chain waxing...Not only does it keep the chain cleaner but it keeps you cleaner too. Having found the mix of oil and road filth leaves indelible marks on your garments and leaves greasy schmutz on your hands when you touch the chain , I really like keeping hands and clothes less dirty. I sometimes set up my Brompton with a second chain ring which I shift manually and would not like it much if my hand was greasy and dirty after every shift.

Top Bottom