No wonder it wasn't shifting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
To get the jockey wheels off there is a small cap on the end of each wheel spindle which you prise off. Inside is a small bolt head which needs an allen key. This can be quite tight. Make sure you notice the washer and bush which is inside. Makes it easier to get the gunge out and relube on reassembly. I just used wet lube which happened to be lying handy. Not been used much since but should be ok.

chris folder

Hi :hello: kell do you use wet or dry lube on your chain? yep the amount of muck that builds up on the jockey wheels they can get soild with black muck that area is low to to ground so must pick up bits I also get small bits of grit in mine

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
At the minute I've been using Green oil. So wet lube.

Green-Oil-Chain-Lube-100ml-71230-Zoom.jpg

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Yeah.

Only six months old too.

Have already ordered new cogs and front ring.

When they arrive I may try getting away without replacing everything, but we'll see.

It all needs cleaning again as you can see.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
The wax method definitely sounds like it would work. But it also sounds like a massive PITA to set up.

This is only the second chain I've ever snapped. The last one saw me land on the cross bar of my Dahon and break my Cocyx so, thankfully, the fact that this snapped as I was sat down was actually a gift in comparison.

I do think it's the proximity to the ground that's causing me the additional problems. That, and the fact that i'm currently 16 stone...:mrpig:

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
To get the jockey wheels off there is a small cap on the end of each wheel spindle which you prise off. Inside is a small bolt head which needs an allen key. This can be quite tight. Make sure you notice the washer and bush which is inside. Makes it easier to get the gunge out and relube on reassembly. I just used wet lube which happened to be lying handy. Not been used much since but should be ok.

So I did this at the weekend when fitting all the new parts.

Can't believe the crap that had managed to work into the inside of one of them. One was OK and just neeed lubing, the other one needed scraping out entirely.

Was so much easier to pedal this morning as a result.

chris folder

Hi :hello: i cleaned mine the other day i find the bottom clog holds the most build up i get lots of bits of grit in mine

Top Bottom