Noise and neighbours

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

Catrike UK said:
I think a Sunday night during term time is a bit off to be honest, my daughter is doing some of her GCSE's at the moment and I would not tolerate that from a neighbour.

And what would you do? Sounds like you need to have a bit of tolerance, a few hours of potential disruption is not the end of the world for anyone, even GCSE schoolchildren...

Noodley said:
And what would you do? Sounds like you need to have a bit of tolerance, a few hours of potential disruption is not the end of the world for anyone, even GCSE schoolchildren...

Kids GCSEs are probably one of the most important times of their lives, what would I do? I would ask them to move it to a non school night or shut it down by 9pm.

Rhythm Thief said:
Surely a 16 year old (even one with exams the next day) isn't going to be asleep before 10.30pm? If this party was going to be continuing into the small hours, you'd have a point, but 10.30 surely can't be that much of a problem?

My daughter is 14 and taking some of hers early.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Catrike UK said:
My daughter is 14 and taking some of hers early.

But if they are sitting a few early, the chances of it being the day after is fairly slim ... my y10 is sitting the last paper of her maths soon but she certainly doesn't seem to want to fall asleep before 10 ... its starting to get near to that point when my children will want to go to bed after I do.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Sorry, I introduced the concept of exams. I have no idea whether that has any bearing on your neighbours' circumstances.

All I can say is that my neighbours held a party on the night our kid was due to sit her exams for secondary school, and that I was pretty fed up about it. Luckily she did not wake up, but I did go round and politely explain the situation. No, they did not tell us about the party in advance.

I completely agree with RT that nobody should expect silence if they live in an urban environment.

Maybe Sunday night is not a good time?

montage

God Almighty
9 till 10.30 is prime time for cramming anyway...bollocks will the kid be asleep.

Oh and despite what anybody says, cramming does work!

Noodley said:
Catrike, just to stop you worrying - the OP is not gonna be moving in next to you, you can relax :ohmy:

Oh I know that, we don't allow commoners who have parties in their garden here, if we have a party we have it at the country club like civilised people.:wacko::thumbsup:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Unless you've got a good 'garden heater' (ahem....:biggrin:) you'll be lucky if the noise goes on beyond sun down.....10.30 is early...

For you to warn your neighbours, and have finished by 10.30 is very nice of you.

You should hear some of the 'twits' in flats opposite our house (on another road) - 2-3am noise and no big party...just youngsters boozing...... grrr, and then kids on the football field getting 'piddled' - out there now about 300 yards away.......:biggrin:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Catrike UK said:
Kids GCSEs are probably one of the most important times of their lives, what would I do? I would ask them to move it to a non school night or shut it down by 9pm.

And what makes you think that GCSE kids spend the night before an exam revising?

If anything they might actually start at 22:30 - better late than never!

I speak from experience as a parent and as a teacher. :biggrin:

levad

Veteran
User76 said:
Why not hold the party on the Friday or Saturday? No school night to worry about.

Why not have the party starting on the Friday night and finish on the Sunday night :biggrin:

Top Bottom