Noise and neighbours

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In about three weeks time we will be holding a party of rmy Father-In-Laws 60th birthday. Nick likes a beer or two and a bit of a dance, so we've invited a raft of friends and family and will have a party marquee in the back garden.
We sent out notes to the other seven houses in the close, telling them that we were doing this and that it would be finished by 10:30 p.m. We are holding it on a Sunday night during term time.
We last had a party with guests in the garden about 8 years ago, and there was no music then and no noise save for conversation, and that all finished by about 9.30 p.m.
Our next door neighbour came round to see us, expressing his displeasure about the fact that this was going on on a school night becuae his son's bedroom is at the back of the house. His son doesn't go to sleep when he's meant to without disturbance.
Are we being unreasonable by wanting to hold a party in our back garden every eight years?

Noodley

No.

Why not invite the neighbours? Then if they dinnae come it's not as if they didn't have the choice...

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
nope, it's not like it's a regular thing and you've given plenty of notice, your neighbours could make alternate sleeping arrangements for that night, if need be.

montage

God Almighty
Yes. I can't believe you are even considering doing this. So evil. You may as well rename yourself Stalin.
Wow....some people ey

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Browser said:
The invite was on the information note, we sent out.
In truth, even his wife says he a miserable bugger!

Nothing to worry about then is there? He's entitled to be miserable. Just don't let him infect you :becool:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't want to be a total party pooper, but the kid has to get some sleep on a Sunday night in order to be OK for school the next day. My daughter is doing GCSEs at the moment. I think I would kill any neighbour who made her knackered on a Monday morning as she went into an exam room.

Why not have the party on a Saturday? It is just a question of when you have the party, not how frequently.

Have fun, anyway.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
slowmotion said:
I don't want to be a total party pooper, but the kid has to get some sleep on a Sunday night in order to be OK for school the next day. My daughter is doing GCSEs at the moment. I think I would kill any neighbour who made her knackered on a Monday morning as she went into an exam room.

Why not have the party on a Saturday? It is just a question of when you have the party, not how frequently.

Have fun, anyway.

I was sort of thinking the same thing but to be honest my daughter although in bed probably wouldn't be asleep at that point. I guess you could check whether he did have exams the next day. And if he did perhaps the party could transfer inside at 10pm? Have you tried looking to see what time the light goes off in the bedroom nearest the garden normally - might be 10.30 anyway.

Personally you are sounding like a very considerate neighbour ... if it was past midnight on a very regular basis I would start to get annoyed but not a one off.

I think a Sunday night during term time is a bit off to be honest, my daughter is doing some of her GCSE's at the moment and I would not tolerate that from a neighbour. It is good that you have informed your neighbours but it is odd that you have arranged it on an evening that you know is inconsiderate.

thomas

the tank engine
Catrike UK said:
I think a Sunday night during term time is a bit off to be honest, my daughter is doing some of her GCSE's at the moment and I would not tolerate that from a neighbour. It is good that you have informed your neighbours but it is odd that you have arranged it on an evening that you know is inconsiderate.

I think if it is finishing by 10.30 then it is okay. I know that the noise will probably continue a bit before that, but when I was doing GCSEs I reckon most people weren't fast asleep by 9. I do agree though, that if you could move it to a friday/saturday it would be better.

As for the neighbour, bugger them! Our neighbour always sends us nice little cards when she's having parties so we know there might be some noise....but we never hear a peep out of her :tongue:. Unless it was some crazy all night rave, she doesn't need to either...but it's always nice to get a postcard through the door!

Top Bottom