Noise from rear of my bike!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RyanMcGrath

Changed my standard wheels to some cosmic carbone sls and love them but since changing them I've had a new cassette fitted I'm getting a weird noise from the rear and don't no what it could be!! Any ideas
Cheers

Shaun

Founder
Can you define "noise" a bit more; clicking, banging, rubbing, hissing, and is it at regular intervals, random or constant?

It might just help people to help you figure it out or pinpoint places to look first. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
R

RyanMcGrath

Realli hard to explain. It's got worse as I've done more miles. It started when I would realli go for it and push hard. It comes and goes it's not constant. I thought it was rubbing at 1st but I'm unsure

RebornBumbler

Did you check/adjust your rear derailleur when you had the new cassette fitted ? (might be cable tension/indexing out if it's in all gears) or perhaps the new cassette needs a shim/spacer (give it a wiggle - it should hardly move at all).
Did you change the chain at the same time? (might need a new chain - unless the old cassette/chain had very little use)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Did you check/adjust your rear derailleur when you had the new cassette fitted ? (might be cable tension/indexing out if it's in all gears) or perhaps the new cassette needs a shim/spacer (give it a wiggle - it should hardly move at all).
Did you change the chain at the same time? (might need a new chain - unless the old cassette/chain had very little use)
When i changed wheels recently it made weird rumbling noises, turned out it needed a small spacer just as you describe , even though the lock ring was tight there was enough play in the cassette to cause poor shifting and a noise.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Im having real grief with my wheel set, who knows you may have the same issue

The problem is that every few hundred miles i get a weird rattle noise that sounds for all the world like a loose jockey wheel , except it persists when freewheeling.

Turns out that i need to constantly grease the spoke nipples by backing them off, greasing and retightening. If i dont, then on every rotation, three or four spoke nipples will click in close succession and generate this weird rattle sound on every rotation, for hours and hours.

It drives me MAD.

I am planning to bin the wheels in june i cannot stand them any longer.

Check your spoke tensions. Failing that, take the wheel out and spin it whilst holding the skewer...if it rumbles your bearing may need attention.

ayceejay

Guru
New wheels you say: try the simple first
1) make sure the wheels are sitting fully and evenly in the drop out
2) check centering of the brakes and adjust clearance
If the tyres are also new and perhaps a different width check clearance on frame and brakes.

AndyRM

XOXO
FNB8IGTFITUPT2L.MEDIUM.jpg

OP
OP
R

RyanMcGrath

Just put my old wheel back on and no noise. Put the cosmic back on and the noise is there. It's like a rattle noise I would say, when they fitted the cassette the bike wasnt there I just took the wheel and new cassette to my LBS and he fitted it. He didn't use the spacer. How would he no it wouldn't be needed and y?

RebornBumbler

If you take out both wheels and physically compare the tightness of the cassette to the freehub, you should be able to determine whether the noisy one is (relatively) loose.
If it is, then either it's lockring is loose or it needs additional packing (basically a thin washer).
In either case (unless you have a cassette lockring tool and a chainwhip), you'll need to take it back to the shop.

Best not to ride it in the meantime - could be bad news if the lockring is loose!

Top Bottom