Noise from rear of my bike!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RebornBumbler

Then it's likely to be the spokes/hub/bearings/rim.

You could get the LBS (assuming you don't have the tools) to swap cassettes from one to the other though - if the noise moves, it's (somehow) the cassette, if it doesn't - it's (somewhere) the wheel.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I still, say spoke nipples.

Lay across the saddle (with your shoulder, sort of) putting as much weight on it as possible and roll the wheel over a few spokes at a time, see if you hear a thang!

if two or three spokes are doing this, it will sound like a loose jockey wheel, very rattly sound.

OP
OP
R

RyanMcGrath

Does sound like what ur saying!! Also tonight at high speed on my highest gears there was another noise like a bell as such. I'm awful at explain noises

OP
OP
R

RyanMcGrath

Right tonight tried everything, tighten up the hub, greased all the spokes and all the other components and still there. Either faulty wheel or faulty cassette so going to put my old cassette on and try that, if not a phone call to mavic

OP
OP
R

RyanMcGrath

Nope not the cassette, noise still there. Anyone no how to contact mavic or should I go back to the company I bought the wheels from? They were online
Cheers

ayceejay

Guru
Trying to help here and since all the usual suspects have been eliminated: are the cables of your RD and back brake trimmed off short and neat? A cable dinging against your spokes maybe?

BSRU

A Human Being
I had a mysterious noise from my Mavic rear wheel, turned out to be dry bearings, even though it was a new wheel.

OP
OP
R

RyanMcGrath

Would the noise of dry bearings always be there, because when I put it in the cycle stand and spin the wheel there's no noise, the min I ride it, it's noisy!!

BSRU

A Human Being
Would the noise of dry bearings always be there, because when I put it in the cycle stand and spin the wheel there's no noise, the min I ride it, it's noisy!!
For me there was no noise on the cycle stand but noise when I was riding it.
It's easy enough to check the bearings(obviously dependant on personal ability).
Try this Mavic technical website, I used it when I took my rear hub apart.
http://www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/uk/produits/road/roues.htm

OP
OP
R

RyanMcGrath

Spoken to mavic and apprently it's a spacer in the hub by the bearings??? Common fault and mavic no about this fault. If it even moves .1 of a mm it can cause noise?? So got to send it back and they can't guarantee it back till at least 3 weeks. Awful service!!

Top Bottom