Noises from my Rear End

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Hi All, let me just clarify the meaning behind my thread title..

My question on this occasion is has anybody experienced a cracking/pinging type noise from the rear wheel of their SS bike that doesn't seem to be the bearings? I have recently purchased a used Genesis Day One 10 and as a matter of course I stripped out and replaced most bearings as it was in a bit of a neglected state with mud in just about every tube and hole you could find. Anyway, all was well for a few rides and then noises started from the rear wheel so I repeated the bearing strip/grease process and again all was well for a few rides then it started again. One of the cups is a bit pitted but nothing excessive and there is no play when the cones are tightened and they run freely with no binding etc.. I am now wondering if it could be one or more of the following reasons instead and would appreciate your thoughts before spending on parts that I don't need to spend on.

(1) I fitted a Sturmey Archer Sprocket which is quite 'fat' and because they have raised areas on the face it required the use of a spacer/washer to avoid it hitting the frame drop-out. *Could the additional washer be causing a slight change to the chain line that I'm not spotting, or when the track nuts are tightened could it somehow prevent the sprocket from running freely when under load? The wheels spins easily and smooth when I let it freewheel though which makes me think it's not the bearings.

(2) I have noticed that the chain is 1/8" but the sprocket I put on is 3/32". *Would that cause a 'meshing' problem and possibly noise if they are not the same size?

(3) My chain tension was quite tight which I suppose would get worse when it passed through those natural 'tight spots' during each rotation. *Could an excessively tight chain put too much tension/strain on the sprocket when it's attempting to turn and then possible cause the noises I've mentioned?

Sorry for the lengthy post but I have a habit of trying to cover every detail which ends up in a waffling ramble
innocent.gif

Edit Quote Multi

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I went through every part of my singlespeed bike recently looking for the source of a strange ticking sound...

It sounded to me like it was coming from the rear wheel and I ended up replacing the wheel bearings, the freehub bearings, the chain... (the list goes on and on)

In the end I had the brilliant idea of putting the bike on my turbo trainer and getting someone to bend down and listen for me. It turned out to actually be coming from my left pedal...

Noises are not always coming from where you think they are!

D

Deleted member 1258

Hi All, let me just clarify the meaning behind my thread title..

My question on this occasion is has anybody experienced a cracking/pinging type noise from the rear wheel of their SS bike that doesn't seem to be the bearings? I have recently purchased a used Genesis Day One 10 and as a matter of course I stripped out and replaced most bearings as it was in a bit of a neglected state with mud in just about every tube and hole you could find. Anyway, all was well for a few rides and then noises started from the rear wheel so I repeated the bearing strip/grease process and again all was well for a few rides then it started again. One of the cups is a bit pitted but nothing excessive and there is no play when the cones are tightened and they run freely with no binding etc.. I am now wondering if it could be one or more of the following reasons instead and would appreciate your thoughts before spending on parts that I don't need to spend on.

(1) I fitted a Sturmey Archer Sprocket which is quite 'fat' and because they have raised areas on the face it required the use of a spacer/washer to avoid it hitting the frame drop-out. *Could the additional washer be causing a slight change to the chain line that I'm not spotting, or when the track nuts are tightened could it somehow prevent the sprocket from running freely when under load? The wheels spins easily and smooth when I let it freewheel though which makes me think it's not the bearings.

(2) I have noticed that the chain is 1/8" but the sprocket I put on is 3/32". *Would that cause a 'meshing' problem and possibly noise if they are not the same size?

(3) My chain tension was quite tight which I suppose would get worse when it passed through those natural 'tight spots' during each rotation. *Could an excessively tight chain put too much tension/strain on the sprocket when it's attempting to turn and then possible cause the noises I've mentioned?

Sorry for the lengthy post but I have a habit of trying to cover every detail which ends up in a waffling ramble View attachment 559754
Edit Quote Multi

I'd start with chain tension, if you've got the chain tension too high the chain is going to bind, if you've got tight spots in the chain try to find the tight spots and adjust at a tight spot. I've had an 1/8" chain on a 3/32 chain ring without any problems.

roley poley

Über Member
maybe look at the crossing points of your spokes as a source of pinging? a tiny drop of oil or wd40 on these points and a squeeze to get the lube on the contact area may work ..it did for me.. good luck

OP
OP
JPBoothy

JPBoothy

Veteran
To eliminate the cause being the SA freewheel sprocket, do you have a fixed sprocket you can put on for a test ride?
Unfortunately I don't, and the Genesis Day One 'unlike my previous Flyer' doesnt have a flip flop hub either. I am assuming that one could still be fitted with spacers to get the right chainline etc? My son has exactly the same bike 'but with flat bars fitted' so I may try his wheel with my sprocket to rule out the sprocket as the cause. I have tried 2 sprockets now and the noise is still there but not as bad on the 2nd one which now has me back thinking chain tension or wheel bearings! The wheel spins lovely on the axle with no wobble or binding at all but I may tighten the cones a bit more to see if it that affects it. Thanks as always :okay:

OP
OP
JPBoothy

JPBoothy

Veteran
Hi All, I had a good tweak today and the noises are much quieter now thank you :okay: However, as I did it all together I can't be sure if anything in particular was the cause or just a combination of more than one thing. I re- tightened the cones, oiled & checked the spoke tension, swapped back to my Sturmey Archer sprocket and adjusted the chain tension too.. I am always concerned when touching spokes that I could put the wheel out of true. Is there a rule of thumb for that job? I know that some need more tension than others but occasionally a quick squeeze can reveal quite a noticeable difference between them.

Top Bottom