Noisy hubs when freewheeling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steelchap

Regular
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new bike and add to the frameset myself. My main concern is avoiding buzzing hubs, like the Hope hubs on Mavic wheels. I've currently got some very old Shimano hubs on my road bike, that are sweet and silent.

I was just wondering if there were any known hubs that ran silent among current wheelsets? Or is it just something common to modern hubs that they make this noise?

Cheers for any advice

P

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Why don't you like the noise?

I have Pro-4's on both my bikes (one of which I commute on) and you don't even notice it after a while.

vickster

Legendary Member
My Novatec hubs are ticky, I like the noise, but nowhere near as loud as some on Mavic like the Ksyrium Elite (on a Boardman on the Sunday London ride)

If getting handbuilt wheels, speak to Spa or DCR say fur examples of quiet(er) hubs

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My Novatec hubs are ticky, I like the noise, but nowhere near as loud as some on Mavic like the Ksyrium Elite (on a Boardman on the Sunday London ride)

If getting handbuilt wheels, speak to Spa or DCR say fur examples of quiet(er) hubs

The Novatec hubs on my PX (Which I rode Sunday) are clicky.
The Novatec hubs on my VN are near silent.
They are identical hubs except one is disc brake (noisy), the other not.

Gary E

Veteran
I know what the OP is on about - some wheel manufacturers seem to make a special effort to make their wheels especially noisy. OK if it doesn't bother you but irritating if you let it get under your skin.

Although I can think of one very good use for noisy hubs - on the very rare occasion that I manage to scalp someone, imagine how much more humiliated my victim would be! Not only has he been bested by an overweight old guy, the old guy is doing it while freewheeling :becool:

Jason

I prefer the almost instantaneous engagement you get from a Hope Pro 4 freewheel, plus you can remove the freehub by hand.

Try that with a Shimano

That doesn't mean anything to me - I push on the pedals and the wheels go round. when i stop pedalling, the wheels turn in near silence.
My question still stands - why do manufacturers make noisy hubs, and why do cyclists like them?

Threevok

That doesn't mean anything to me - I push on the pedals and the wheels go round. when i stop pedalling, the wheels turn in near silence.
My question still stands - why do manufacturers make noisy hubs, and why do cyclists like them?

The more pawls a freewheel has, the better the engagement. Cyclists like this, but it also makes them noisier

Threevok

Btw - when I say it makes them noisier - I meant the hubs (although some Hope owners do like to shout about it :whistle:)

The main reasons I swapped though were for ease of axle conversion and serviceability

All noisy freewheels except Chris King can be silenced with grease.

Chris King hubs cost so much that their owners feel they have to make a song and dance about it and this they do by buzzing when freewheeling. The sound is so sought after that there's even a cellphone ringtone with the King buzz.

Campag is noisy out the box too, but the cure is once more, some grease.

Top Bottom