Non cyclists need recalibrating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
They won't get planning permission if there is insufficient infrastructure to support any proposed new development unless it includes said infrastructure.

You think ? That may be what is intended and in fact it may even be a requirement but I know of at least one and probably two major developments that don't meet that criteria.

tom73

Guru
Does no body check out the area where they are considering moving to.Not a lot of use moving then moaning about lack of amenities.As for pedestrians not all i hasteyto add prey we could have a new law Of using a mobile phone in a dangerous manner, eg ot looking where you are going
n

Clearly not I think many stop after seeing the big glossy sign telling them how much they can get off the price by the builders offer and the state backed home buying ISA.

Globalti

Legendary Member
What's this "shop" people keep mentioning? Our food is brought to the door by a nice man with a van and every morning a couple of bottles of fresh milk appear on the doorstep, empty bottles also get taken away for reuse. This leaves us free to concentrate on the important things like cycling, walking etc.

simonali

Guru
There's a retail park in Trowbridge where you can turn left or right at a mini roundabout as you enter it in a car. I've lost count of how many times I've seen lazy gits driving from one side to the other.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
There's a retail park in Trowbridge where you can turn left or right at a mini roundabout as you enter it in a car. I've lost count of how many times I've seen lazy gits driving from one side to the other.
I know exactly what you mean. People do the same in the retail park near me. I find it incomprehensible.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Far more people at work use cars than bikes (human or engine-powered) or public transport. Majority of the staff live in Southampton/Eastleigh area- admittedly sprawling, but central Southampton is four or five miles, Eastleigh under two. Public transport options are not lacking- we're right next door to Southampton Airport Parkway station, there are bus stops right outside…and I bet my Honda uses less fuel for my 40 mile round trip than most of the local cagers' commutes....

classic33

Leg End Member
A new Lidl store has just opened about a mile from my house. I don't drive so ALL of my local shopping trips are on foot or by bike.

I cycled over to check it out the day it opened and discovered that there is about 50% more car parking than the old store had. There is also a fast recharging station for electric vehicles. What there does NOT appear to be is ANY official provision for cyclists! I rode round all of the car parking bays and could not see anywhere set aside for bikes... :whistle:

One trusting cyclist just leaned his bike against the wall and left it there while he shopped.

Another option would be to lock a bike to the handrail on the steps up from the pavement below the car park, but I bet people would rightly soon complain about that.

All of the lampposts for the car park lighting have large metal guard hoops either side of them to protect them from careless parkers. I discovered that my massive D-lock is JUST big enough to lock my bike to one of them, so that is what I will do until my forthcoming campaign for Lidl to fit bike stands is successful! (I'm going to start the campaign by emailing Lidl UK HQ with a photograph of the bike stands next to the entrance of the Morrisons store round the corner! :laugh:)
There's "lockable" bicycle parking there. Ten bicycles according to the council.

Unless you're headed West to get to it.

screenman

Legendary Member
Maybe some people have more time than others. Not that I am a fan of short car journeys, but many people may not have that extra hour a day to walk.

Our local Co-op runs out of eggs on a Saturday with the next delivery Wednesday, they keep red wine in the chiller and the white in the warm.

Johnno260

Veteran
Buy a house closer to shops if it bothers them.

Or explore the area where you are considering the purchase.

I’m a country bumpkin so no issue hopping on the bike for a pint of milk, I live rural as I can’t stand large towns or cities, it’s why I don’t complain about the crap mobile phone signal.

Human race is too car focused and with carbon emissions out of control it’s pretty much game set and match, it’s too expensive to save the planet.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
I see your point but many of the "time poor" are the same ones who find the time to be on SM for hours or sending endless one word text's backwards and forwards with someone.

Top Bottom