Non-destructive MTB bar grip removal.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The mystery black painted Raleigh MTB I recently salvaged has a sizing issue; the large 23" frame is manageable in height as I've got long legs. However the reach is massive as the frame TT length is 23", plus there's a 125mm stem fitted with fairly straight handlebar. If I measure from the expander bolt head to a straight edge laid across the centre line of the bar ends the effective stem length is still 4", so I've got a 27" reach distance from the seat post to the hand positions on the bars. My Pioneer hybrid frame, also 23" size, but with a 22" TT length, has a total reach distance of under 25" measured the same way - a big difference. I need to fit a shorter stem for acceptable riding comfort, and have a couple in the 80-90 mm range salvaged from scrap bikes I can try out. Therefore I want to get at least 1 grip off the bars, in order to remove the fittings and slide the bar out of the stem clamp. The grips are nice quality, so I want to re-use them. The obvious method to me is to slide a long thin screwdriver between grip and bars to open up a gap, and dribble some liquid soap into the gap and hopefully then twist it off. Has anyone got any little tricks of the trade you use to remove rubber grips from flat bars without wrecking them? .This must be a pretty common job, and I can't believe that people just get the Stanley knife out and cut them, and replace with new!

Last edited:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Blast from the airline usually does it. Keep an eye out where they land. Come off pretty fast.

Have done same thing with 23 inch Cannondale mtb, bought shorter stem in more upright position but coulnt salvage 'lizardskin' grips pretty much welded on after 20 years. Much comfier now on lower back and hands.

Tangoup51

I put rubber grips in a cup of decently hot water to allow them to expand, and then slide them on.

Perhaps heating them up would expand the rubber and make them slide off easier?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Lift an edge with a flat screwdriver, squirt some WD40 or similar under, give it a wiggle, repeat.

I do this but use the little red pipe to squirt the WD40 in. To reattach first give the grip a good wash in soapy water then let it dry thoroughly, then a quick squirt of hairspray inside and on the bar before sliding it on, after 5 minutes it will be firmly fixed (don't forget to replace the brakes/shifters first though. :whistle:)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As above but use a cable tie end and not a screw driver to open a gap to squirt the WD-40 in
My preferred tool is a bamboo skewer but I expect a cable tie works as well.

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
does the stem clamp not allow you to simply remove it? Or is it some other design
Personally I would put new ones on at a couple of quid off eBay....

Stem clamp is a standard single pinch bolt type. Very few bikes have a clamp that comes apart into two pieces. If the old grips were mingers I'd cut them off and be done with it, but the ones on my 20+ year old British machines are far nicer than the cheapo replacements you get on eBay, so are worth trying to re-use.

It seems most methods used on here are a variation of "open up a gap and inject some lube" , although I can't try the drastic airline method at home as I don't have a compressor.

Grant Fondo, I do need to reduce the reach to acceptable levels otherwise I won't fancy using the bike much because of discomfort - which would be a shame. I won't use a 23" size MTB for woods riding though, because of the painful crossbar incident risk, but a Reynolds 501 frame & bars plus quality alloy wheels and 21 gears has a lot of potential as a moderately light but sturdy urban pothole-resistant utility ride. Knobbly tyres being replaced by Schwalbe Delta Cruiser+ 26 x 1.75".

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Stem clamp is a standard single pinch bolt type. Very few bikes have a clamp that comes apart into two pieces. If the old grips were mingers I'd cut them off and be done with it, but the ones on my 20+ year old British machines are far nicer than the cheapo replacements you get on eBay, so are worth trying to re-use.

It seems most methods used on here are a variation of "open up a gap and inject some lube" , although I can't try the drastic airline method at home as I don't have a compressor.

Grant Fondo, I do need to reduce the reach to acceptable levels otherwise I won't fancy using the bike much because of discomfort - which would be a shame. I won't use a 23" size MTB for woods riding though, because of the painful crossbar incident risk, but a Reynolds 501 frame & bars plus quality alloy wheels and 21 gears has a lot of potential as a moderately light but sturdy urban pothole-resistant utility ride. Knobbly tyres being replaced by Schwalbe Delta Cruiser+ 26 x 1.75".
Good for touring too.

Kernowdreamer

Push a ball end 3mm alan key in the end and squirt in some light oil. Clean the grips as soon as they come off if you want to reuse them as the oil will not be kind to the rubber. Refit with light squirt of hairspay.

jay clock

Massive member
[QUOTE 5132990, member: 45"]On a quill stems perhaps, but otherwise 2-part stems are pretty much standard.[/QUOTE]
I have got 7 bikes and they all have double fronted stems. Two of them over 10 years old

Top Bottom