Non-food shopping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Things are really simple here, all shops are closed. There's no grey area and no going around it. Supermarkets are not allowed to sell non food items, all are either removed from the shelves or are cordoned off and if you put them it your basket they won't allow you to buy them at the checkout. Pet stores and farm supply stores are open but only for food and bedding materials. DIY is only possible here if you already have the materials at hand. Builders suppliers are open but only to trade workers that have accounts with them, if the public turn up then they get turned away.

The only alternative is on-line shopping but here we are way behind most countries and it's hard to find things at the best of times and i often order from France, UK or Germany and get clobbered for VAT. Online food shopping only exists from 2 of the supermarkets and only one of them delivers to our area, the lead time is currently early May, it's usually 1-2wks.

So now after 12 days in we have been out of the house twice for food although we do walk the dog in the forest once a day, full of chuffing ticks this Spring due to the mild Winter:ohmy: least it keeps other people away though^_^

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That number means something to me, think it is the bearings in my Praxis PF30 adapter? Good to know who has a set should I unexpectedly need them :okay:

Possibly too small, they take a 12mm through axel.

17mm x 30mm x 7mm (dimensions)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Off-licenses are classed as "essential". The cheapest one near me is open late in the evening and only sells naughty stuff like grog, smokes, sweets, soft drinks and crisps. Wholesome it isn't, but I visit it regularly on my way back from my evening bike ride to pick up a few cans of beer. I figured that these visits were about the highest risk, corona virus-wise, of my daily life at present.
Would it be very naughty to drive half a mile in my van with the sole purpose of stocking up with a two month supply of lager, thereby avoiding daily visits to the den of iniquity? It seems entirely sensible to me.

D

Deleted member 1258

My wife reports that B&Q remains open, but only 'essential items' can be bought. Who decides what's essential and and on what basis I do not know.

I used B & Q at the weekend, the store is closed, order online click and collect, drive to store, theres a bloke in the car park with a radio, give him your order number he gives you a pickup number, you drive to the pick up point in the car park and they bring your stuff out in a trolly.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Personally i think too many people are over thinking this... non-essential shopping is sauntering around town browsing the shops and buying tat on a whim. Of course you can pick up a new bathplug when you're going to get some bread and milk.

I agree, on the current guidelines. Same risk if it's the same shop and you're genuinely food shopping. My only properly "non-food / non essential" purchase has been a controller for a Nintendo Switch which I absent mindedly ordered as a birthday gift from Argos on click and collect, and then fully assessed only after the event. The pick up however was at the supermarket where I'll have to get food anyway, it was prepaid, the lady asked for the code, and she popped it on the desk, we must have stayed at least 3 metres apart the whole time.

There's no grey area here. The problem is some people are idiots and don't seem to appreciate that real people are dying of this illness, so they make up whatever excuses they can think of to do what they want to do.
Your opinion on me web ordering the wheel building rig? Would leave untouched by anyone post delivery for 72 hours.

so if bending the rules a bit to buy a new toy/tool/bdsm costume (@Blue Hills :laugh:) to prevent going nuts from boredom, I say go for it.
I have difficulty in seeing that buying non food items in a supermarket is bending the rules IF you are also buying food items IF the supermarkets are also selling non food items then you are not bending the rules.
Neighbour just knocked on with MORE well developed veg plants.....food delivery?. Supplied free by a local garden centre including delivery (not to me). We social distanced. The dog hasn't seen her for 3 weeks so peed herself. I thought she had moved on from that (the dog) she is 4 and half.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Beeb has done a story on non-food shopping.

A lawyer quoted in it said there is a recognition that people will need to buy home maintenance products the longer the lock down continues.

Although he goes on to say the item should essential for the upkeep and maintenance of the house.

Seems my shoelace repaired bath plug will be doing its job for a little while longer.

Quoting from the story:

Dominic Watkins, head of retail and food at law firm DWF, says the government guidance is "about as clear as it can be" and "does not mean shopping for discretionary purchases are permitted".

"We should not be shopping for non-essential products such as a new sofa or flowers for the garden.

"However, it is recognised that there will be things that require fixing around the house during this time and therefore stores need to available to provide those goods, and that is the reason that home and hardware stores are permitted to open.

"Unless goods are essential for the upkeep, maintenance or function of the house, then people should not be trying to purchase them."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52097797

pclay

Veteran
How literal do you take: We are told to go out only for food, medicine, and exercise.

Toilet roll and cleaning products do not fit into that above category......

Top Bottom