Non-food shopping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I think your answer is perfectly clear and obvious.

Do you need to use your bath plug? 'No, I normally take a shower' then your purchase/trip is non-essential and can wait. 'Yes, bathing is my only means of maintaining adequate personal hygiene' then further consideration is required.
Can you use your bath effectively and safely with the plug in its current state or with the proposed temporary solution? Yes, then you should wait. No, then further consideration.
Can you source the replacement remotely by mail order or without incurring additional visits/human interaction (i.e, would you be making an otherwise essential visit to the supplier anyway)? Yes, then do that. No, it would appear your need for a new bath plug/chain is essential and your trip is justified.

It isn't rocket science and I don't understand the need for the continual questioning of the restrictions and how they should be interpreted. Essential and non-essential are perfectly clear concepts in 99.9% of cases, except apparently to a selfish minority of people who don't want the rules to apply to them because they are clearly 'special'!

Drago

Legendary Member
But Mr Skol, I'm a one legged washerwoman from Dumfries who self identrifies as a Citroen 2CV, and the regulations don't specifically state that I can not ride my pogo stick to the garden centre to go to the impromptu night club being set up in the car park!

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My local hardware store is open, but it has an Iceland inside. I don't see the Issue, many self employed or diyers need hardware to keep going. I'm going on the fact that if the store's allowed to be open then I'm allowed to go in (obviously as infrequently as possible). Hardware is less likely to be stored in your house and touched by everyone so one could argue it's less transmissible than groceries. As long as social distancing is observed and hand sanitizer is provided on entry. I have a small bottle which I use if i enter or leave the house.

If we're getting down to nitty gritty then most shopping is not a necessity. We can survive on cabbage and water so if they were to stop hardware purchases then they should also stop people shopping for alcohol and pizzas

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My wife reports that B&Q remains open, but only 'essential items' can be bought. Who decides what's essential and and on what basis I do not know.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My wife reports that B&Q remains open, but only 'essential items' can be bought. Who decides what's essential and and on what basis I do not know.
Exactly. The public should decide on whether they need to leave the house or not. But there's nothing stopping someone buying something "essential" and buying other stuff as well, if you're in the shop already then it doesn't make much difference

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
B&Q is only available for click and collect as far as I can see (and delivery) and is only selling essentials (e.g. plumbing or electrical spares). You can order from a limited on-line then drive to the car park, phone up, and they bring your stuff out.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Exactly. The public should decide on whether they need to leave the house or not. But there's nothing stopping someone buying something "essential" and buying other stuff as well, if you're in the shop already then it doesn't make much difference
That would be the sensible approach. As long as you are not going out for just some exotic stuff.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've on-line ordered two 6903 2RS bearings for my rear wheel, just in-case, as the rear wheel on my MTB was showing a little play in it, until I stripped and cleaned it, so we will see. I've also ordered some bedding plants on-line, but these should arrive some time in April, when 'grown'.

As for buying paint etc, nah CBA ! :whistle:

Top Bottom