Non indexed chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
I've been looking at these 5 or 6 speed "non Indexed" chains for vintage bikes. Only £3.
https://www.bankruptbikeparts.co.uk...-2x-3-32-114-links-ideal-non-index-bbp2213249

These chains are probably manufactured before Shimano's Hyperglide indexing design, but will they make any difference compare to using a modern indexing chain on a vintage bike?

How can a chain be indexed or non-indexed?

931430697-600x400.jpg

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No difference. Get an upto 8 speed chain. These are all 3/32.

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
Yes, I usually use 3-8 speed indexed chains, but I've not seen non indexed chains for years, so I was intrigued by these, for £3, I might even give them a try, I might regret it.

How can a chain be indexed, beats me........

Last edited:
Yes, I usually use 3-8 speed indexed chains, but I've not seen non indexed chains for years, so I was intrigued by these, for £3, I might even give them a try, I might regret it.

How can a chain be indexed, beats me........
The outer plates of the links are chamfered on the indexed chains, because they are designed to move up and down sprockets / rings of different sizes. The chamfering aids this process. A non indexed chain is best suited to remaining on a sprocket of a given size, if you use a non indexed chain, on an indexed system, it will be marginally clunkier in operation than an indexed chain, and the non indexed chain will wear the different sized sprockets more, than an indexed chain would.

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
The outer plates of the links are chamfered on the indexed chains, because they are designed to move up and down sprockets / rings of different sizes. The chamfering aids this process. A non indexed chain is best suited to remaining on a sprocket of a given size, if you use a non indexed chain, on an indexed system, it will be marginally clunkier in operation than an indexed chain, and the non indexed chain will wear the different sized sprockets more, than an indexed chain would.

Many thanks, excellent info, I might give these non indexed chains a miss then.:okay:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It makes little difference, if the cassette / rings are a bit closer to the agricultural end of the range, but I wouldn’t use them on a fancy pants cassette / rings.
A guy I know runs a 6 speed Campagnolo 'Super Record' set up, that uses a 1/4" chain, now that is agricultural. :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Chains arent indexed. I wouldnt run a 1/8 chain though as they are far stiffer with less lateral flex for running singlespeed.

Any standard 8 speed chain is ideal.

Chains arent indexed. I wouldnt run a 1/8 chain though as they are far stiffer with less lateral flex for running singlespeed.

Any standard 8 speed chain is ideal.
The chain isn’t ‘indexed’. Indexed chains are chains designed for an indexed system, hence the chamfered plates on the outside. Use a non indexed chain if you like, but considering you can get half decent indexed chains for not much more, I personally wouldn’t use a standard chain with an indexed system.

Top Bottom