Noob advice - what lock to secure the bike at night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

okigen

Regular
Hi gurus,

So after 2 months of riding the Boris bike I've decided to get a proper one in order to commute to work :hello: It'll be parked in our communal parking area behind our building, which is out of sight, but can be accessible without force so sadly can't get insurance for theft. My flatmate had kindly suppplied me with this to lock the rear wheel/frame, so now I'm just looking for something to secure the front wheel (I intend to lock the frame + rear wheel into a secure ring attached to the building, the front wheel will be tied to the frame; it can't reach the ring due to length).

Is this one ok for the purpose? https://www.decathlon.co.uk/bordo-granit-x-plus-foldable-bike-lock-id_8385907.html It looks quite compact so I also intend to use it for commuting instead of the chain one above.

For reference the bike I'm getting is this one :rolleyes:

Many thanks,
Oki

kennycl

Regular
The general advice is 10% of the value of the bike on a lock. So something like the ABUS should be fine, it's moderately heavy, but not too bad.

My other advice is try and lock your bike next to something more desirable that is less protected than your owe. Shouldn't have to think like a thief...but it is how it goes.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you’re leaving a bike overnight outside, I’d go several beefy locks (eg Abus granit D or Kryptonite fahgettaboutit) and a serious motorbike style chain. Is there no way you can keep it indoors?

Dwn

The abus is a good lock, and I use that when in town. For overnight I use a heavier chain and padlock.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200814-183549.png
    Screenshot_20200814-183549.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 4

vickster

Legendary Member
I would never feel happy leaving a bike outside overnight no matter how it was locked up!

Still, if you are going to go ahead... How about taking the front wheel indoors? That would solve the problem of front wheel security, and make stealing the bike less attractive.
Plus seatpost and saddle, makes it undesirable to steal!

OP
OP
O

okigen

Regular
Hi all, thanks for the advice!
@vickster We live on the sixth floor with no lift and a very narrow corridor! I have been searching for a secured parking space but all I get is 10 waiting lists :sad:( My only condolence is that my neighbor parked 4 bikes together in front of the building with a cable lock, so surely they will be easier target?

@ColinJ Sorry I'm totally noob. This is my bike https://www.decathlon.co.uk/900-hybrid-bike-grey-orange-id_8577823.html Is it easy to take the seat off? I suspect taking out the wheel will be too hi-tech for my level!

I'm buying via cycle to work so my purchase is tied to Decathlon. Sadly they do not sell the bigKryptonite chain:sad:

OP
OP
O

okigen

Regular
Eh wait, I've just realised on description...

Wheel diameter: 28 inches ( 21-622).
- Aluminium front and rear hubs with quick-release on the front and rear wheel for easy disassembly.

So it looks like it's designed to be removed easily then! :rolleyes:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You could buy a basic Riverside hybrid for less than half the cost of the version you linked to and it will still get you to work just the same. The difference is it will be less attractive to steal and if it did get stolen, you're only going to lose half as much money. The best way to avoid bike theft is not to present a thief with an attractive proposition to steal in the first place. Owning the cheapest and most worthless bike in the rack is a better deterrent than any lock.

si_c

Guru
I'd go with two heavy d locks Abus Granit or better yet one of the better Kryptonite locks.

That being said you're looking to deter someone from stealing it rather than stopping them so if it looks like a pain then that's the best you can do. If someone really wants it then they'll bring a portable angle grinder.

So you will probably do fine with a couple of the decathlon d locks like their elops 900 and their chain lock too. You might be able to negotiate a slight discount too if you buy with the bike.

Secondly where are you keeping the bike at work? Something to consider as you'll also need a lock there and you might find that carrying 6kg of metal each way a pain.

vickster

Legendary Member
Eh wait, I've just realised on description...

Wheel diameter: 28 inches ( 21-622).
- Aluminium front and rear hubs with quick-release on the front and rear wheel for easy disassembly.

So it looks like it's designed to be removed easily then! :rolleyes:
Yes and you should learn how to remove and refit the wheel for when you get a puncture, which will happen. Decathlon should be able to supply a QR seatpost clamp

I must say I wouldn't lock any sort of halfway decent bike up overnight, especially regularly, in the sort of area you describe, even one as fugly (sorry) as that.
Can't you keep it inside somewhere with a bit of cajoling/sexual favours or whatever?
Since the post is also about a new bike, cannot help but ask why you feel you need suspension for the usage you describe.
I fear it will be a liability - mechanical and financial - with no benefit.
And also make the bike more attractive to thieves who like "features".
Unless you have an ultra rugged commute, I think I'd be inclined to put a squeeky toy on the front rather than a suspension fork.

edit - (after your like) - still half asleep here - your commute of course is in london (ref boris bike) - no way do you need suspension.

Last edited:
Done my usual trick of responding before reading the whole thread/thro all the info.
I see that you live in a 6th floor flat with no lift.
mm - tricky one.
if you are fit I'd consider a folder - seem to recall that decathlon do a decent one (others can offer more advice).
My sole exercise is cycling. never could be fagged with the supposed body-shaping benefits of gym work, but praps you could integrate a bit of weight training with your commute and emerge a rippling hulk.

failing that I'd buy a second hand steel hybrid for its outdoor sleeping and learn about bicycle maintenance so that, whatever it looks like, it will run sweetly.
skipdiver is your reference for such bikes.

Top Bottom