noob donny cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamman

Hi all,
taken up cycling fairly recently and finding it very addictive and enjoyable. Just been doing 5 mile rides on my brother's old MTB but going to be getting a nice beginner's road bike soon thanks to my dad's bike to work scheme (which is allowed).

Been looking at lots of youtube videos on cycling / road safety. Mostly from watching Gaz's videos I've found a lot of what to do and not what to do tips and also what to look out for on the roads.

Any newbie road biker tips will be greatly appreciated :smile:
Particularly the technical / maintenance side as I want to get the best out of my bike

Shaun

Founder
Hi Jamman,

Welcome to CycleChat (CC).

You'll find there are people at all levels of experience here on CC so any questions, just ask away - you'll get plenty of good advice.

If you want some maintenance advice, just pop into the Know How forum (I won't be much help though as I just chuck my bike at the local bike shop when it needs mending - but don't tell the rest of them that!!!).

You're getting started at the right time of year too as it's warming up nicely now and you'll be able to get some fitness built up for some longer rides in the summer. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

sabian92

Über Member
Get hold of a copy of the highway code as well and have a read through it (even if you have passed your test, you're using the roads in a totally different way now), and a book called cyclecraft. Never read it myself but it's highly recommended by a lot of people here. I passed my test 14 months ago and haven't driven since, so it helped me a lot as I'm just getting into cycling now.

Enjoy yourself and ignore the abuse you will unfortunately get by a select few road users who think they're better because they "pay road tax"!

OP
OP
J

jamman

Thanks for the website cyberknight :smile:

Thanks for the advice sabian :smile:
1 click ordered highway code and cyclecraft off amazon. I'll explain to my dad later that it's for my safety and a requirement :biggrin:. Only 18 and doing driving lessons now, so the highway code will help with both my driving and cycling.

I won't let any abuse phase me,
for starters I'm getting fitter, healthier, more environmentally friendly than they are and I don't have to spend a fortune to fill up my tank ;)
also it's funny how they don't even realise that the tax they pay is for vehicles and doesn't contribute directly to the roads at all.

sabian92

Über Member
Thanks for the website cyberknight :smile:

Thanks for the advice sabian :smile:
1 click ordered highway code and cyclecraft off amazon. I'll explain to my dad later that it's for my safety and a requirement :biggrin:. Only 18 and doing driving lessons now, so the highway code will help with both my driving and cycling.

I won't let any abuse phase me,
for starters I'm getting fitter, healthier, more environmentally friendly than they are and I don't have to spend a fortune to fill up my tank ;)
also it's funny how they don't even realise that the tax they pay is for vehicles and doesn't contribute directly to the roads at all.

How many driving lessons have you done? I would have thought your instructor would have asked you to get a hold of a copy already. Pay special attention to the cycling bit, it does help, and most of all, don't run one of us over. ;)

OP
OP
J

jamman

How many driving lessons have you done? I would have thought your instructor would have asked you to get a hold of a copy already. Pay special attention to the cycling bit, it does help, and most of all, don't run one of us over. ;)

13, but at least I'm getting one now. Ok and haha I won't, I'll remember to look out for bikes when I'm coming out of a junction or changing lanes. No cyclists like a SMIDSY :tongue:

Top Bottom