Noob Questions regarding 'Fixed Wheel Bikes'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skwerl

I'm not sure I agree that the frame's less important on a fixed. I think the most important part of any bike is the frame.
I'd also say that there is such a thing as a bike that's too light. Fixed-wheels tend to be light anyway. Make then super-light and they'll be skittish, made all the worse by the lack of freewheeling capability.

Andy Pandy

Planet X do a carbon fixed wheel TT bike for around a grand, if you are into that sort of thing. I have noticed that most of the high end TT frames have horizontal drop outs (I assume to allow you to get the rear wheel tight to the down tube). These could be used to build a blinged up fixed wheel carbon bike.

OP
OP
A

aserota

Über Member
Im not going for a carbon frame after a bit of research and thinking.

Im off to BLB in a week or so for some testing. A fuji track would sort me out for time being anyway.

skwerl said:
I'm not sure I agree that the frame's less important on a fixed. I think the most important part of any bike is the frame.
I'd also say that there is such a thing as a bike that's too light. Fixed-wheels tend to be light anyway. Make then super-light and they'll be skittish, made all the worse by the lack of freewheeling capability.

There's no such thing as a bike that's too light- too flexible perhaps.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
My fixed flex's, its a 531 frame and i swear i can feel the back end moving from side to side when im spinning fast.;)

peejay78

my bob jackson used to flex, it was 731 tubing, you could do it yourself by wiggling the bottom bracket. this is what made it such a 'pliant' ride.

not sure about feeling it flex though, i mean, the lateral movement really isn't that much. are you sure it's not your back end moving from side to side and not the bike?

skwerl

my first fixed frame used to flex. It was an IRO Mark V. Not exactly advanced frame design
for a long time I couldn't find the source of an annoying clicking noise that only occurred when I was climbing out of the saddle.
I finally found the cause when cleaning the bike - a small nick on the chain-stay that was being caused by the chain-ring catching on each pedal stroke as the frame flexed.

Anyway. My question was, why is there no such thing as a bike that's too light?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My 1949 plain gauge 531 Holdsworth fixie flexed like aq very flexy thing, enough to get the rear tyre rubbing the stays. On the Turbo it's scary how much the bottom bracket can flex.
As said, it's what made it such a lovely bike to ride.

Top Bottom