Noob Questions regarding 'Fixed Wheel Bikes'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aserota

Über Member
Hi All,

I have spent a good few hours over the past few days looking into 'Fixed Wheel' bikes and 'Track' bikes.

I currently ride a Trigon Road Bike; Carbon Fibre Frame/Forks, Carbon Wheels (alloys used for commuting), Dura Ace Groupset (Gears and Brakes). I am very happy with this bike and am looking to assemble a similar bike, but this time it being a 'Fixed Wheel' bike.

I am keeping this bike and will NOT be converting the above to a fixed wheel bike. I would like to 'assemble' my new bike myself to get a better understanding for when things enevertibly go wrong. I have a fair amount of knowledge learnt from my road bike, from previous repairs.

On to the new build....

I am aiming to build a very lightweight (within budget) bike for road use only. However, i have many questions (some obvious) which i am unsure about;

1. Why are carbon frames rarely used on 'fixed wheel' bikes?

2. Regarding frames, if i was to go for a fitted frame roughly (very rough est.) how much would i be looking at paying for an alloy frame?

3. Why are tri-spoke wheels (or similar) commonly used as the front wheel, rather then the rear as on TT bikes?

4. Is there a website that compares the performance of moving parts (crank sets) for easier comparison (i know very little about these on fixed wheel bikes)?

thanks all

1. Cost. Economies of scale and the fact that many fixed riders like steel frames mean there isn't much of a market to justify the expense of tooling up for a carbon fixed frame.

2. Dunno

3. Fashion

4. Dunno but you cant go wrong with track specific kit from any of the major brands.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Carbon Fixies do exist, Peasron, Dolan do them, but cost is the issue.
Are you talking custom Aluminium? Don't know who does them. Why not buy the right size alu fixie frame from say Pearson.
I started fixing in the era when people made them out of old 531 steel bikes or stripped their recers for winter training, somehow I find it hard to think of Alu or Carbon as the "right" material for a fixie, steel somehow seems the stuff.
If I wanted to build my own fixed from scratch I'd start with either a Condor Tempo Frame or a Salsa Casserole frame, reason being both are good steel, both have old-fashioned dropouts rather than silly track ends, and both take mudguards for proper winter use... also aided by old-style horizontal dropouts.

I agree with the fashion thing... blurghhh.

OP
OP
A

aserota

Über Member
I'm still looking into how much effort and money should be spent on the fixed bike im looking to build/assemble.

I know from experience (with road bikes) there is a huge difference between a cheap £200 road bike and my current road bike (i suppose £2k in parts). The groupset makes a big difference and the frame is also key.

It does not seem that the frame is so important when building fixed wheel bikes, is this true? or are people generally more happy to get something more basic as a fixed wheel bike for road use is limited to its gearing (not sure if i explained that well at all!).

I am interested in the Fuji track (lower end budget for full bike), however was also considering spending £400+ on a carbon frame alone if a noticeable difference would be felt (like on a road bike).

Fab Foodie

aserota said:
I'm still looking into how much effort and money should be spent on the fixed bike im looking to build/assemble.

I know from experience (with road bikes) there is a huge difference between a cheap £200 road bike and my current road bike (i suppose £2k in parts). The groupset makes a big difference and the frame is also key.

It does not seem that the frame is so important when building fixed wheel bikes, is this true? or are people generally more happy to get something more basic as a fixed wheel bike for road use is limited to its gearing (not sure if i explained that well at all!).

I am interested in the Fuji track (lower end budget for full bike), however was also considering spending £400+ on a carbon frame alone if a noticeable difference would be felt (like on a road bike).

The most experienced Fixed-wheelers I know, the likes of Mal Volio and Fixedwheelnut and others reside on YACF. There has been some discussionIIRC (initiated by grub?) on lightweight Fixies. Maybe they have the answer. They can certainly help with high-end parts.

OP
OP
A

aserota

Über Member
nice one!

I've posted a few more questions across on londonfgss forum so will continue my research

Fab Foodie

aserota said:
nice one!

I've posted a few more questions across on londonfgss forum so will continue my research
Please let us know what you glean?

OP
OP
A

aserota

Über Member
There's a large number of responses on the thread now.

It seems to be down to performance And the limitations of this with FW bikes.
I haven't got access t a computer so can't link you, but it's under 'bikes and bits'

peejay78

it's not rocket science.

find old 531 bike with 120mm spacing, ideally 42/52 chainset.
remove outer chainring. buy half chainring bolts.
if feeling flush, buy miche primato GS for about £90.
fit new back wheel, may as well buy one. or even get a pair from SJS for not much money.
ride bike.

i had a vigorelli stolen, so have been riding conversions since. got a 531 raleigh pro frame off ebay for £21. also got bob jackson 70s road frame for £120.

peejay78

my beaters start off rough as your mothers' gusset, but in time they seem to get nicer and shinier until the build defeats the stated aim at the beginning.

i have, however, managed to turn a bob jackson into a bit of a turd to ride around on in the hope that the disenfranchised yoof might not steal it.

Top Bottom