Nope, I don't understand it ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Her: It must be nice to live in Hull

And to be fair...that's not something one hears every day!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Attachments

• laugh.gif
    laugh.gif
    771 bytes · Views: 28
  • laugh.gif
    laugh.gif
    771 bytes · Views: 24

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
The only thing I struggle to carry on my bike is a 20" pizza.
It is four miles away and I drive.
You're supposed to EARN that 20" pizza!

On a slightly different tack, in central London, if I've not got a bike with me, I will always walk from one location to another, even if it's say, from the eastern end of the City to the West End, simply because it's always quicker than the tube or a bus.

Chamfus Flange

Guildford in december is the one for me. I commute from Woking to Guildford in around 35 minutes. My work mates think I'm mad as it talks them 25 minutes. Except in December, Christmas shoppers, the car journey increases to over an hour. Bike still the same time.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
One of Mrs Monkey's friends complains about "traffic" on her commute.

Which is 3 miles.

Mrs Monkey now sends me out of the room when she visits.

Jezston

Über Member
But cycling is DANGEROUS! You'd have to be MAD to cycle on the roads!

I have a colleague who absolutely freaks out if you even mention cycling or motorbikes. She's only 23 and appears to have become twice that in the last year.

I'd drive a mile or so if it was raining.

1. Walking (in streets, I like countryside walking) is tedious and I hate umbrellas.
2. Too wet cycling and "not worth" getting all kitted up just for a mile (or so).
3. I can afford to run the car and I rarely take it out anyway - the thing sitting for long periods causes me more issues than anything.

Am I an idiot? :tongue:

I used to drive a mile to work and back for a few years (did cycle sometimes in good weather), it was a mix of a few things, mainly low milage = low cost and "having" to own a car meant insurance/tax/mot was the same anyway. Heck, I even drove half a mile here and there just to go to the chipshop (although I would walk in to get any non hot stuff etc). Do I care? No.

I honestly wouldn't expect someone to cycle a mile to work in all weather, getting wet weather gear on for the sake of a mile (if you already own a car) is a burden.

Now I live 10 miles and loving every minute - even the rain :tongue:

I understand that^^^^

Distance from home to Sainsburys by car = 3 miles. By bike = 1.5 miles.
Cost for fuel by car = 2 x 3 x 15p = 90p Other costs = ?
Cost of running a bike that far = ? but not much.
Time to do the round trip by car = 40 minutes (typical)
Time to do the trip by bike = 15 minutes (typical)

I can carry most things on the bike, and do most of our shopping, but we do take a car there once a week for the bulky stuff.

You should not that not everybody has that kind of "luxury", ie for me it would take 35-45 minutes to cycle (not sure how much loaded) and 10-15 in the car.

Granted I rarely need to make a special trip to go shopping (I try and do all my "car trips" in one go), so i've never really bothered... although I am starting to look at a trailer, just for the fun of it. :tongue:

Though if you shop once a week - how much are you actually getting on a day-to-day basis?

It's amazing seeing peoples reaction to two other things as well.

One is when someone says (at a weekly event), "I can give you a lift to save you having to cycle", and you tell them you'd rather cycle thanks.

Add in the rain and they think you're mental ;)

Jezston

Über Member
Bah, get some decent waterproofs. Riding in the rain is lovely when you are all wrapped up and protected from it.

Bah, get some decent waterproofs. Riding in the rain is lovely when you are all wrapped up and protected from it.

My point is "wrapping up" for the sake of a mile. Granted at least you shouldn't get too hot and sweaty in such a short distance.

And if you noticed I do 10+ in all weathers now.

Although I nearly always wear shorts, even in rain - hate water proof trousers. Even my top is a very very lightweight one.

stowie

Legendary Member
I had a revelation when I was driving the 2 miles or so to my local supermarket and it took 45 minutes, whilst in the 2 weeks previously I had got a penalty notice for an illegal left turn, a parking fine, and a clamp fine (totalling over £200). I got my old bicycle I hadn't used for years from the folks house and now use this far more than the car.

It is a perception thing. I was terrified when I started cycling again, this is quite a hurdle to overcome, but it only takes a week or so to realise the benefits.

Last Christmas, I went a few miles to the shops. The high road was absolutely rammed. I got to the shops and realised that I had forgotten the keys for my locks, cycled home, picked up the keys, and then cycled past exactly the same cars as I had the first time around.

It is only when you do something different you realise the madness of your previous methods.

If I hadn't got a string of fines for my driving and parking, I doubt I would have thought about a bicycle. So I have traffic wardens to thank for saving me time, money, and getting me a little bit more healthy!

StuartG

slower but further
Such comparisons are useless and puerile.

What you forget is that this guy had a fag, scratched his crutch, picked his nose and listened to Test Match special en route. No wasted time and difficult to do if you are covering your handlebar brakes.

Whereas you arrived home a bit sweaty which means wasting extra time having a shower before making wild passionate love ... Hang on - is this the reason you have to get your evening kicks from DVDs?

Such comparisons are useless and puerile.

What you forget is that this guy had a fag, scratched his crutch, picked his nose and listened to Test Match special en route. No wasted time and difficult to do if you are covering your handlebar brakes.

Whereas you arrived home a bit sweaty which means wasting extra time having a shower before making wild passionate love ... Hang on - is this the reason you have to get your evening kicks from DVDs?

Yea, its usually hard for someone to walk and cycle with crutches.

dav1d

I don't drive, so recently I decided to cycle to my cousin's house in Wythenshawe. My brother (who doesn't cycle at all) got the bus. We had a silly 20p bet that I would beat him/he would beat me.

So, 10 minutes after arriving at my couisn's, my brother sent me a text "I am so going to beat you"!
My cousin phoned him and told him I was already there "How the hell did he do that?" was his reply. Around 20 minutes later he finally arrived. That's why I don't like using buses.

Drive round town that is.

Example - yesterday I wanted to go to Blockbuster to get a DVD and follow that up with a trip to the supermarket. Give that the run into town is full of traffic lights and one-way systems, anyone sensible would take the much less complicated route offered by the shared cycle paths.

So that's what I did! As it happened, I saw someone else in my street getting into their car and start the engine just as I was starting my journey.

I arrived at Blockbuster, chained my bike up, was just about to go in ... when who should arrive but the same guy ... after I had arrived! It's not the first time either - I've been to town and back during rush hour; only to see the same distinctive car sat in the same traffic jam a little way down the road from when I started out.

Any yet they still drive!

Nope, I just don't understand it. I mean I really just don't understand it. If I know full well that the roads will be full of traffic jams, I either cycle or motorbike whenever possible. Anything else is pure madness!

Top Bottom