Norco pinched, just in case anyone sees it on Ebay Etc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good morning

If anyone see this on ebay etc, will you let me know?

I have added it to https://stolen-bikes.co.uk/

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Sorry to hear this @IanSmithCSE will keep an eye out as you never know where it will end up

Any stand out features or distinguished scraps and scratches. Unfortunately Norco are aplenty and it would be easy for someone to alter a few bits to make it unrecognisable.

Good afternoon,

Thanks but sadly not.

On the plus side my other bike is now being used everyday so I am getting my money's worth but it is not a great commuter as it has no rack mounts.

CF frame so those racks with the lower mounts that fix to the seat stays seem risky and the dropouts wont accommodate the adapters that fix there.

So I am wearing a rucksack.

After a few beers I foolishly bought an old Carrera Virtuoso and a new rack and believe it or not the rack won't fit, the angle of the fixing flange means that the vertical support hits the dropout! Added to which it need a new BB and has those old 2000 series STIs that you can't reach the thumb release from the dropouts. All in all a bad purchase. I paid £90, typically they go for £40-£50 on eBay, but it was there in front of me.

{edit}
Does this mean that I should stop drinking or stop buying things after drinking?

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Good afternoon,

Thanks but sadly not.

On the plus side my other bike is now being used everyday so I am getting my money's worth but it is not a great commuter as it has no rack mounts.

CF frame so those racks with the lower mounts that fix to the seat stays seem risky and the dropouts wont accommodate the adapters that fix there.

So I am wearing a rucksack.

After a few beers I foolishly bought an old Carrera Virtuoso and a new rack and believe it or not the rack won't fit, the angle of the fixing flange means that the vertical support hits the dropout! Added to which it need a new BB and has those old 2000 series STIs that you can't reach the thumb release from the dropouts. All in all a bad purchase. I paid £90, typically they go for £40-£50 on eBay, but it was there in front of me.

{edit}
Does this mean that I should stop drinking or stop buying things after drinking?

Bye

Ian

the halfords pannier rack has angled rack arms, i find it great for those frames with shrouded mount points , i use on on my vanquish which is my commuter.The old carreras are a solid if uninspiring ride what you could do is look out for some 2nd hand claris shifters ? and turn it into a useable commuter

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...MIr7Km7oyg-AIVidPtCh1i5Q_rEAQYASABEgIgGfD_BwE

Good evening.

Thanks for the ideas.

That is the rack that I bought.:smile: I will try a take a picture later.

Getting a set of Claris shifters does make a lot of sense, the only downside is that they tend to be difficult to find unless I want to buy new. I then just checked eBay to find a set at £45 BIN, no cables, just the levers.

{Edit}
IMG_1714.JPG

when the rack is angled so that it doesn't collide with raised area, the flat area is pointing so far off the horizontal that it is unusable and can't really be attached to the seat stays/seat pin.

I am sorta thinking another £100 and it would be a usable bike and undesirable, but looking around eBay I am holding off. I am doing Worcester to Redditch 5 days a week which is a minimum of 18 miles each way, so I do want to enjoy the ride.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:
Good evening,

Yup, that was my first thought too.

IMG_1731.JPG

I then got nervous when I saw just how much metal would need to go.

IMG_1730.JPG

I'm quite happy commuting on the Jamis apart from the rucksack issue.

I even bought some Planet X/Holdsworth musettes but they were never intended for a commute and they don't work carrying some tools, a clean shirt, socks and underwear along with some sandwiches!

The real problem is that I keep the Jamis indoors but don't have room for a second bike inside, so will whoever took the Norco come back?

Bye

Ian

Good evening,

Yup, that was my first thought too.

View attachment 648329

I then got nervous when I saw just how much metal would need to go.

View attachment 648326

I'm quite happy commuting on the Jamis apart from the rucksack issue.

I even bought some Planet X/Holdsworth musettes but they were never intended for a commute and they don't work carrying some tools, a clean shirt, socks and underwear along with some sandwiches!

The real problem is that I keep the Jamis indoors but don't have room for a second bike inside, so will whoever took the Norco come back?

Bye

Ian

Yes I've found that the cheap musettes fray after a month or two.

Good morning,
looks like your upper arms need bending to get the lower mount point closer ?
Thanks for the thoughts.

I've given up on the idea of making the Carrera useable and am looking for something else, although I did contemplate a couple of nice big cable ties through the rack and eyes!!:laugh:

I actually did this once and they lasted about a week, so if you always used two and carried spares it was not quite as daft as it sounds.

More seriously, I find that I need the weekends for recovery, so whatever I ride for the commute must be enjoyable rather than tolerable. It's not so much that I need the two days off but if ride on one of the weekend days that means a 6 day period without rest and I ain't that fit anymore, if I ever was.

I tend to commute in slowly as there is no shower at work, average is around 14mph door to door. I commute home slightly faster, 16-18mph, a few days a week and flat out the other days.

The Jamis is weak in this role because of the lack of rack but really good when ridden fast.

The Norco was a real surprise for me, it was a really good bike (apart from the wrong tyres and front shift), with the rack it was great and although it was less fun to ride fast, it was still fun. The trick for me was to fit the "wrong" cassette, the Jamis is 50/34 11-25 and I put the same on the Norco and the ride wasn't fun as I struggled with the Claris front shift. Swapping to 11-32 gave quite a big gap in the ratios and meant that it was effectively a 1x7 and this worked great on the slow runs but made riding faster less fun.

Oddly the front shift on the Carrera with the older model "Claris" is much better, almost as if the Claris I had was a lever made for one pull requirement attached to mech with a different requirement. Also I am comparing Ultegra Di2 front shifting to Claris, so I should expect Claris to be noticeably worse.:rolleyes:

If I could safely fit a rack to the Jamis, I would happily ride it to destruction as a commute bike and put up with the higher running costs. I am tempted by the Tailfin, but am hesitant because of the need to change the axle and I don't fancy a seat post rack as the existing post is CF.

Bye

Ian

Top Bottom