Norco pinched, just in case anyone sees it on Ebay Etc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
seat post rack ?
that carrera to be fair is a very old model , heck i was using one of those over a decade ago and it was second hand then im sorry it couldnt work for you although mine took a rack ok but its very hard to diagnose over the interweb .

I have never ridden anything above 105 level so cant comment :smile: , im a poor
Commuting 5 days a week does take it out of the legs so i use saturday as a rest day then a longer ride sundays , as far as showers go where i work we do have a shower but i dont bother as my job we get hot and sweaty anyway and the smell from welding covers any sweaty smell

@IanSmithCSE I’ve got my Wiggins Rouen going spare, it would make a great commuter for you if the sizing is right, I am 5ft 7 with and where a short trouser (29) for reference. If you dropped the mudguards and fitted 32’s it’s a very capable rough road bike.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/500154618464987/

My other steed is a Carrera Vanquish 2021 model in red and for £450 you get a lot for your money (or even more if on cycle to work!). The newest Claris, full carbon fork (including steerer which surprised me when I went to tighten the headset), room to fit 32c tyres under full length mudguards, 11-28 cassette and mounts for both racks and guards. The front guard ones are on the inside of the fork so looks quite attractive too.

Last edited:
Good afternoon,

Thanks for this.

I am stuck with problem that I can only store one bike internally as I run out of space, so how much risk of getting up and finding the commute bike gone can I tolerate?

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/how-much-bike-do-i-really-need-a-6-month-experiment.284154/

I certainly agree that Carrera offer stunning value for money, I recently talked to someone who is riding a Vanquish and whose partner paid close to double for an Allez!

And (If I am allowed to start a sentence with and) how tolerant I am to getting up in the morning and not finding my bike ready to ride as it is not there?

So if I buy and move the commute bike indoors I have to sell/dismantle the Jamis.

My current thinking after looking at eBay etc is to move the Jamis components to a frame which can take a rack, so I can store it indoors and it will still be fun.

When I bought a CF bike with Di2 I expected Di2 to be "Nah! silly tech" and CF to be a revelation. But Di2 was a revelation and the CF frame was "yes it is better, but who cares?"

For me Di2 rear shifting is pretty much no better than mechanical, but front shifting is so, so, so, so, so much better that it really needs to be tried to be believed.

So I am tempted by a Carrera or even https://www.halfords.com/bikes/road...road-bike---48cm-51cm-54cm-frames-601204.html and putting the Di2 stuff onto it.

I really do love the idea of a Paradox with Di2, the only real negative is how bad the front fork is?

Bye

Ian

The problem with the paradox would be the cabling to the battery would need to be routed externally and in some cases an external battery rather than a seatpost battery would be required and this may mean losing a bottle cage and the whole set up looking ugly?

Would something like a Willier Montagrappe work better with internal cable routing in the downtube work better while not costing the earth?

https://www.merlincycles.com/wilier-montegrappa-alloy-road-frameset-179291.html

Good afternoon,

Although alcohol inspired an unwise purchase, it also provided the solution; mount the rack the wrong way round you idiot

IMG_1742.JPG

With a bungee cord wrapped around the seat stay and holding a rucksack down it works well.

At 12.3kg it is no lightweight, but it does confirm my feeling that Carreras are great value for money if a bit agricultural.

This one has 2000 series before it became Claris and the front shift is way better, almost as good as down tube shifting. :laugh: I do have some unopened Gorilla Weld and am wondering I can glue a downtube mount to the frame, it's a very strong epoxy (4,250 psi).

Whilst I must be getting old, look how much lower the stem can go, I am still learning, don't put bottles of Henry Westons Vintage Cider into the bottle cages, they explode.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:
Top Bottom