North Coast 500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

saoirse50

Veteran
35644350_10155375775798204_3333830473594961920_n.jpg

I was up near Gairloch at New Year. Mostly off roading, but rode some of the route then. Pretty empty!

saoirse50

Veteran
On this old thing!
35775069_10155375775803204_6827843693819461632_n.jpg

saoirse50

Veteran
That last photo is from the top of the hill east of Kinlochewe. Looking down to Loch Maree, I guess. There's a viewpoint on the other side of the road. December/January, almost had the road to myself and viewpoint empty for the 5 minute stop. Same trip in May this year..viewpoint had four cars and two motorhomes in it when I got there. In 5 minutes I lost count of the cars that pulled in and out plus around 6 motorhomes. Not so much of a problem on that stretch of road, I guess. But once you get to the single lane roads, different story.

saoirse50

Veteran
Haha! Same happened to me with the Cromarty ferry. I was heading north, from Inverness, on a trip around the whole coast of Scotland I did maybe 15 or so years ago. I didn’t ring, not realising it was quite so weather dependant. Very strong winds from the west. Had to head all the way back along that north coast of the Black Isle, having headed east already along the south of it, from Inverness. Into that massive headwind. Turned what was to have been a 70 mile or so day into a 100 miler. Weather was appalling. I was so tired by the time I got to Helmsdale, I decided to stay in the hostel, but couldn’t find it. (Helmsdale is a small place, I just wasn’t functioning) Rang the hostel from a phone box (that dates this tale!) just up the main road from the harbour. The warden tried explaining to me but must have realised I had lost the capacity to understand English. She told me to look outside the phone box up the road. There she was, at the top of the road outside the hostel waving and calling to me.

Top Bottom