North Coast 500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am just looking at the North Coast 500 route. The route looks great across to the West coast from Inverness and the along the top to JOG. But the only option then are the A99 and the A9 back to Inverness.

I dont know much about the A99 but the A9 does not have a good write up for cyclists. But once you come off the A99 it doesnt look as though you have any option but to use the A9 for a long way South.

From JOG to Inverness is 195km using the A99/A9. Going back to the A836 Crask Inn road from JOG and then onto Inverness is 248km and extra 53km. This is the option I would take as the road and scenery looks much more pleasant for cycling. Much safer than the A9.

I am not a purist and would be happy to call it my North Coast 500 and a bit.

Has anyone ridden it? Or has anyone got comments about the roads I have mentioned.

If I do it it would probably be in May, if that makes a difference with the traffic.

The A9 section which gets the most "bad press" is the bit between Perth and Inverness, and the bit over Kessock (which this route does not take).

I have cycled the A9 north of Inverness and it's been ok - the most NE-ly section from Thurso to Wick is probably the least enjoyable and I would be tempted to miss that out and cut at Thurso, head south past Halkirk then rejoin the route at Latheron (which will make it not quite 500) and then south of Golspie head inland towards Lairg and then take a right turn at Ardgay and rejoin the route again between Alness and Evanton (which should make up and add a wee bit more to the "lost" section)

A few of my mates have ridden the proper route and there were no adverse reports re any of the sections in relation to other road users being a problem.

I'm sure others will be a long soon to tell you I am wrong ;)

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I rode the A9 to JoG and it was unpleasant - hilly, narrow, lots of lorries.
The Crask Inn is worth a big detour to visit, assuming it still operates as an inn and has not been sold/closed. It wasup for sale this time last year.
You could trace your steps along the north coast, turn south to the Crask Inn and get the train southwards from Tain, this would give you the best bits. And it's downhill all the way from the Crask Inn.

snorri

Legendary Member
The Thurso to Latheron route suggested by Marmion is named the Causeway Mire which as the name suggests appeals mainly to admirers of peat bogs (and wind turbines!), much more scenic following the Caithness coast.IMV:smile:

Meanwhile, regarding JoG to Inverness, I would be surprised if the A99 section between JoG and Latheron caused you any concerns, particularly in May which is before the tourist season starts.
South of Latheron the road does get a bit busier and the 70km section to Loch Fleet cannot be avoided without a lengthy detour.
There would be little pleasure gained in cycling the A9 from Tain to Inverness, but there are alternatives and you can rejoin NC500 at Dingwall.
It depends on your taste:smile:.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
If the OP (Steve) wants to avoid the A9 back down from JoG to Inverness, then, in the late afternoon, he could get the ferry to Orkney (JoG or Gills Bay), cycle to Kirkwall (30km), wide range of eating and drinking options, get the ferry at 2330 round to Aberdeen and, arriving at 7am (both ferry fares together comparable with a B&B), it's 165km back to Inverness via Grantown-on-Spey and other beautiful terrain.

jnrmczip

I am just looking at the North Coast 500 route. The route looks great across to the West coast from Inverness and the along the top to JOG. But the only option then are the A99 and the A9 back to Inverness.

I dont know much about the A99 but the A9 does not have a good write up for cyclists. But once you come off the A99 it doesnt look as though you have any option but to use the A9 for a long way South.

From JOG to Inverness is 195km using the A99/A9. Going back to the A836 Crask Inn road from JOG and then onto Inverness is 248km and extra 53km. This is the option I would take as the road and scenery looks much more pleasant for cycling. Much safer than the A9.

I am not a purist and would be happy to call it my North Coast 500 and a bit.

Has anyone ridden it? Or has anyone got comments about the roads I have mentioned.

If I do it it would probably be in May, if that makes a difference with the traffic.

We have just cycled the nc500 me and a few others I suggest giving the a9 a miss take it to tain once at tain then pick up the ncn1 to inverness
Another member @MiK1138 will vouch for this we hit the a9 busy section after tain at rush hour and we regret not taking the ncn 1 route

MiK1138

Veteran
I still dont know how we survived it, the Velo Gods must have wrapped us in Teflon

Ajax Bay

Guru
The Crask Inn is worth a big detour to visit, assuming it still operates as an inn and has not been sold/closed.
My last night of an end-to-end (2015) was in the Crask Inn 'cottage' with excellent meals, beer and craic in the Inn all evening (a refuge from the midges). Think the cottage has capacity for 8/9. Cash only. Mid-May latest:
"The Crask Inn will not be opening till Friday 25th March. It will only be open 3 days per week on a Friday Saturday and Sunday, No bookings will be taken for the Monday Tuesday Wedensday (sic) and Thursdays. However the Cottage which is adjacent to The Crask Inn will be open from the 25th March for all dates but is strictly Self-Catering. I have been asked by the owners to post this information on Trip Advisor as they do not have Internet. Should you require any further information regarding The Crask Inn please Tel 01549 411241. Thankyou Angus McKinlay"
Did I mention the midges? leaving Lairg at 7pm in the dry but wearing a waterproof (ish) jacket) it was like cycling into a blizzard. No stopping and smoking in the Inn definitely allowed (for insect deterrent purposes).

May be too late for you but I have written two NC500 cycling blogs on the official NC500 web site; June 2016 giving road safety advice about level crossings and single track roads and August 2016 about the cycle shops and repair options on the route with some tips about the Bealach na Ba...and more to come -Sept 2016 will detail a cyclist's NC500 route avoiding the A9. Please share to let it be more widely known that this information is out there and readily available to anyone thinking about cycling the NC500 or anywhere in the North Highlands. Thanks!

U

User19783

Prog on iplayer.

other parts to follow.

Helpfully with subtitles for folks who don't speak the language:

includes longish interview with a cyclist.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08qltyj/north-coast-500-le-anne-lundon-series-1-episode-1#
Been watching this, but unfortunately it has put us off, as when we do these challenges, I cycle and my partner meets me at the hotel, as she doesn't cycle, she needs to be comfortable and confident when driving, I feel that won't be the case round those roads.
So I will have to rethink my options.

But I do enjoy reading other people's challenges.

Top Bottom