North East Transport Plan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Have you joined South East Rail Users' Group [SENRUG] Anne? There's a FB page you can join too. Be fantastic if you could get all your family and friends joined up too.

Looking forward to seeing the Ashington-Blyth-Newcastle line reopened- need to really publicise it to make sure it stays high on the list!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Looking forward to seeing the Ashington-Blyth-Newcastle line reopened-

We won't lose a bike path will we?

That happened in Sunderland when the Metro was extended west to South Hylton.

It was only a short city centre stretch that went the journey, but it was an irritating example of giving with one hand and taking away with the other.

Archie_tect

We won't lose a bike path will we?

That happened in Sunderland when the Metro was extended west to South Hylton.

It was only a short city centre stretch that went the journey, but it was an irritating example of giving with one hand and taking away with the other.
No, it's been retained since Beeching as a freight line but they are rebuilding the stations and halts for passengers... something that sounds simple but you'd be amazed how complex the authorities have made it!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
No, it's been retained since Beeching as a freight line but they are rebuilding the stations and halts for passengers... something that sounds simple but you'd be amazed how complex the authorities have made it!

Not my patch, but presumably that's the line beside the wagonway path through the likes of Percy Main/Silverlink.

I'm always a bit wary of the natives there, not that I have a Sunderland accent.

Archie_tect

Sadly one of Grayling's last acts was to approve the wrong end point at the Metro interchange at Shiremoor instead of connecting up with the main passenger line into Newcastle Central station, but at least it all connects up, just not as efficiently as it could have. View attachment 560241

Last edited:
OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Have you joined South East Rail Users' Group [SENRUG] Anne? There's a FB page you can join too. Be fantastic if you could get all your family and friends joined up too.

Looking forward to seeing the Ashington-Blyth-Newcastle line reopened- need to really publicise it to make sure it stays high on the list!
Yeah, I'm a member. I'll check out the FB page.

Already had my say on the Northumberland Line proposals. When I went to a face to face consultation last year I was very pleased to find one of the project managers was very keen on cycling provision - he actually followed me out of the building to chat more. He was very keen for good access to the station at Bebside & the proposals have a cycle/foot bridge over the Spine Road. That'll be a huge plus as I hate that roundabout.

Archie_tect

Yeah, I'm a member. I'll check out the FB page.

Already had my say on the Northumberland Line proposals. When I went to a face to face consultation last year I was very pleased to find one of the project managers was very keen on cycling provision - he actually followed me out of the building to chat more. He was very keen for good access to the station at Bebside & the proposals have a cycle/foot bridge over the Spine Road. That'll be a huge plus as I hate that roundabout.
That's brilliant!

20 years ago I did a feasibility study for the Persimmon and Esh Homes site at Bebvside on the west side behind the existing colliery row houses and part of it included a new station at Bebside north of the pub to try and generate more interest in re-opening the line with the Council... it's fantastic to see it finally coming together- not sure if the spine connection to Morpeth and Brownieside and Belford will be included though.

Top Bottom